Can I harvest top crop yeast now???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
I've got an IPA going that I used WY1318 on. Today is day 6 and I'm well past high krausen. I had a lot of yeast come out airlock (I filled the fermenter too full). I have since learned quite a bit about top cropping yeasts such as this. I haven't opened the lid to the bucket, but it is still bubbling away. Can I harvest this top cropping yeast on day 6 (with sanitized spoon and being as careful as possible not to introduce oxygen)? Do you think there would be enough left? Your thoughts are, as always, much appreciated.

My thoughts are, you could, and that yeast will be very active and viable.
But, I have to ask, why? Do you need it immediately for another batch that's waiting to be pitched? If not, you're probably just as well waiting until the ferment is done, and then harvest it from the bottom after bottling/kegging.

...or harvest some to save for later, and dump a new batch of wort on the remainder of the yeast cake :rock:

I want to harvest off the top because this yeast is usually MUCH cleaner. I've been harvesting off the bottom after primary, but I'll be dry hopping this extensively and am wanting to get as clean yeast as possible.

Back