Can I Dump Oxyclean in a Garden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I soak my carboys in Oxyclean to clean off the krausen. In an attempt to be green, I would like to use the left over OC/water mix to water the plants. Do you know if I will kill the plants by doing this? Thanks

I don't THINK it would hurt I know gardeners use dish soap in their water cans to help soften the water ans make the plants absorb more water. There isn't anything Toxic in OC so Ithink it would be ok I have dumped it on the grass often and it didn't hurt it.

If u want to be green and use it up, use it as it is intended as a cleaner on something outside. Like plastic chairs, patio furniture, cement or driveway, mailbox, porch, deck, garden gnome, vinyl siding, etc. etc. I really don't think it would benefit any type of foliage or plants and probably hurt them, I'm just assuming. just dump it on something you would like clean and leave it.

I know this is a super old post, but just in case anyone else comes by this. Sodium peracarbonate (oxiclean) is used in aquaculture and breaks down into hydrogen peroxide plus carbonate and free sodium (alkaline) when mixed with water. It’ll raise the alkalinity of the soil a bit if you’re continuously applying it, but otherwise soil has very good buffering capacity and will bounce back with time (I’m an agricultural soil microbiologist). If you’re concerned you could always apply a urea-based fertilizer when it’s time to feed your plants, as urea tends to increase soil acidity for reasons I won’t go into. You could also periodically use some slow release fertilizers specifically designed for rhododendrons, which also help reduce pH. Just don’t mix an acid, even vinegar, directly with your wash mix. It could make a much more corrosive acid, so just be careful.

I know this is a super old post, but just in case anyone else comes by this. Sodium peracarbonate (oxiclean) is used in aquaculture and breaks down into hydrogen peroxide plus carbonate and free sodium (alkaline) when mixed with water. It’ll raise the alkalinity of the soil a bit if you’re continuously applying it, but otherwise soil has very good buffering capacity and will bounce back with time (I’m an agricultural soil microbiologist). If you’re concerned you could always apply a urea-based fertilizer when it’s time to feed your plants, as urea tends to increase soil acidity for reasons I won’t go into. You could also periodically use some slow release fertilizers specifically designed for rhododendrons, which also help reduce pH. Just don’t mix an acid, even vinegar, directly with your wash mix. It could make a much more corrosive acid, so just be careful.
Funny! I was just googling this. Link rot got the EPA link.
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-128860_01-Sep-02.pdf
It's an approved pesticide for lawns. Liver worts (whatever they are) beware!

@Katie thanks for the great explanation. What if you have some TSP or TSP90 mixed with OC to replicate PBW? You mentioned not to combine OC with other acids, what about StarSan?

So what you're saying is if we pour it on our gardens (I live in the country and have 1), it's best to expel beer waste product to accompany it?

Before you dump the Oxy-clean anywhere, remember that the used solution can come in handy in unexpected ways. You can use it to help remove beerstone from kegs and fermenters. It works very well in removing labels from bottles. It cleans glass coffee carafes wonderfully.

When it's fully "worn-out", then figure out where to dump it. Just don't dump it on or near acid-loving plants like peppers and azaleas.

Back