Can I brew today and pitch tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
I made my starter yesterday afternoon, sitting on a stirplate now. I need to brew today due to time constraints. My question is, can I brew today and cover wort as I normally would. Put starter in fridge tonight and pitch tomorrow? I brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of rich german bock, starter is 2L. Used light DME in starter. Didn't know if I'd want all that in my wort. I figured I could wait and pitch tomorrow, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Yes you can...

I've waited as long as a week to pitch. Make sure your sanitation is up to par, and make sure you've introduced oxygen as normal before pitching.

Yes. I usually put it into the fermenter at 100 and then into the fermentation chamber. Pitch the next day.

I put some plastic cling wrap ("Saran Wrap") over the top of the kettle and pitch the next day without issue.

I put some plastic cling wrap ("Saran Wrap") over the top of the kettle and pitch the next day without issue.

I would be careful with the cling wrap. My buddy made a starter and put saran wrap on top of the container to keep bad things out, but there was still an infection in it anyway. he didn't think to sanitize the saran wrap!

He made another starter while sanitizing the new saran wrap. But I would think that sticking some aluminum foil in the oven would be much easier and safer.

Sanitize fermenter and put it in there as normal. It will keep. If you have a good starter it will take off quick before any nasties get hold of your beer.

Latest posts

Back