Can I brew 10 gallons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagic14

Reaction score
So in Febrewary I am planning on brewing on my birthday. I have room to have 10 gallons fermenting in my chamber but only have a 8 gallon pot...

My mash tun can handle the amount of grain needed for 10 gallons as well.

So should I do 2 separate mashes and boils? Basically do 2 separate brews

Or can I mash it all and boil 2 separate times? So mash like I'm doing 10 gallons but split up the boils.

Or is there an easier way?

I live in an apartment so buying a bigger pot isn't an option as I won't be able to boil it on my gas stove.

Thanks!

I would do separate brews. Maybe a bit longer to do but probably get the best results.

Agreed. There are ways to do it, but few of them are really ideal or recommended.
I would plan for a marathon brew day. Get the second batch in to mash while the first is boiling. Including cleaning out the tun, you will probably start the mash about the time the first is coming to a boil.
As long as you have a wort chiller, and are not relying on the pot in the sink method, you should be good to go, especially if you have some other smaller pots to start runoff and heating sparge water in.

You can brew one and top off. I brew 5 gallon batches in a 5g pot. I BIAB mash in about 3.5g, near the top with grain. I sparge in a separate pot, filling the 5g to about 4g for the boil. After the hot break, I top off with any remaining wort. After the boil, I top off again in the fermenter, judging by gravity, not volume. My 5g pot is closer than your 8 is to ten. Use recipe software to adjust your hops, as higher gravity and lower water volume both affect hop utilization. If you use a wort chiller, check it's volume first with water and allow space for it.

I would do separate brews. Maybe a bit longer to do but probably get the best results.

This is what I was thinking...couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday anyways but wanted to see if there were other options

I do have a wort chiller so it should work out great

If the mash tun will do a 10G batch, do one mash and two boils. Or, ask a local brewclub if they'd bring over a pot / burner, doesn't hurt to ask.

All good suggestions, except for the topping off. With extract you may get away with it, but with AG you need to boil that sparged volume down.

Why not brew 2 different beers if you need to boil twice anyway?

Your brew day will be longer, but the prep and cleanup time is the same, so it adds maybe 3-4 hours. I often brew back to back for that reason.

So what is your birthday brew gonna be?

I agree.. Two separate brews would be the best... Plus that's a great way to spend a birthday

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

All good suggestions, except for the topping off. With extract you may get away with it, but with AG you need to boil that sparged volume down.

Why not brew 2 different beers if you need to boil twice anyway?

Your brew day will be longer, but the prep and cleanup time is the same, so it adds maybe 3-4 hours. I often brew back to back for that reason.

So what is your birthday brew gonna be?

Read my post Lizard, it works, I do it. Others do too. Don't knock it 'til you try it. The OP can choose his method, you choose yours, I'll choose mine.
:rockin:

If I could brew outside I could but the only place is the parking lot which isnt too big so i dont think that would work ha.

Also i only have a mini fridge for my chamber or I would brew 2 different beers but because of this I have to only do I if I want to be able to control the temperature

I will be brewingLil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale

Thanks for all the replies:rockin:

Read my post Lizard, it works, I do it. Others do too. Don't knock it 'til you try it. The OP can choose his method, you choose yours, I'll choose mine.

Me too. I have my big stand w/ pump and keggle but it gets too cold here (how long does it take to get ice cold water to a boil at -10°?...too f'ing long!) to brew on the rig in winter. I use a cooler mlt and boil 4.5 gallons (very carefully!) in a 5gal pot, extra runnings in a smaller pot to top up, bump my hops, and top off w/ water based on gravity not volume. I bet if I brewed the same recipe on both rigs you couldn't tell the difference.

In that case I would ask for a 10gal pot for my birthday!! Just kidding. I love doing all grain because I feel like I am doing the real thing compared to extract. ( I am not starting a debate on beer quality). Maybe changing your recipe for a mini-mash would be a great idea. Same process or very close. Converting a few pounds of grains into DME or LME might get you through with this. Good luck!

I think parti-gyle and minimash are both great ideas too. I do partial mashes when there would be too much grain for my pot. Really, they are "mostly mashes" because they use much more grain than extract. For instance, a Belgian Strong with 9lbs of grain and 3.3lbs of LME.

Okay just Googled it..would I be able to combine after the boil only have room for 1 10 gallon (13 gallon total) fermenter

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I did read your post, and of course I know what I'm talking about. ;)

I have an 8 gallon pot and it is way too small for 10 gallon batches. Boiling 7 gallons leaves only an inch and a half of headspace. That's tight already in regard to boil overs.

Yeah, he can keep topping up, during the boil, but there is a hard limit how much wort he'll end up with in that size kettle. He's still gonna end up with 7 gallons, which is 3-4 gallons shy.

To make up for the difference he could add some more boiled down sparged wort to his fermentors. Keeping an eye on the OG. But that's quite a lot.

Here's a different take:
I suggest boiling 5 gallons of first runnings, without hops. Boil past the hot break, say 15 minutes to pasteurize it. Chill that add half to each fermentor. Cap the fermentors.

Now boil your 7 gallons of left-over first runnings and sparges as if it were a normal beer brew, hops and all, based on a 10 gallon batch. While boiling you could add some more sparged wort to compensate for boil-off. Chill and split between the 2 fermentors.

If you want to do 10 gallons of the same beer just run it off into your two fermenters. Then mix them half and half in the pot in case the gravity of the later sparge is a lower gravity, boil then boil the second half. This way you cut out a second mash and just have two boils.

NOTE: Not sure if you are using carboys but I would use buckets with the hot wort.

Only have room for one fermenter in my my mini fridge.

Like the idea of mashing for 10 gallons and boiling twice like beernut70 said

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back