can I ask this question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
This is purely hypothetical. But what if someone made some apple jack, could they use a refractometer to check ABV? Assuming they knew what the OG was, how would they calculate the ABV after jacking?

Again, purely a hypothetical question to exercise the old brain.

Calculate ABV as normal after fermentation.

When concentrating, just measure the amount of water removed. The ABV increases linearly as water (ice) is removed.

So, if someone started with 1700 ml of cider, and ended up with 680ml 8% ABV of Jack = 20%. Would that be right?

as I understand it, the freeze distillation process caps out around 30% abv. I could be wrong as I haven't tried it myself.

I read where most freezers max out at -10F, and that will get someone about 22%. That is, for that hypothetical person who wanted to do this.

I typically freeze 1gal and get approx 1/3gal of "jacked" outta it. So in theory that's 3x the original ABV if perfect process -- which we all know it isn't. I use a 2.5x multiplier to account for imperfection -- which gets me in the ball park.

Cheers!

I typically freeze 1gal and get approx 1/3gal of "jacked" outta it. So in theory that's 3x the original ABV if perfect process -- which we all know it isn't. I use a 2.5x multiplier to account for imperfection -- which gets me in the ball park.

That's what I was thinking, 2.5X original ABV. Thanks for the confirmation, for my friend that is ;)

There's a calculator in Beersmith that you take a refractometer and hydrometer sample at FG that will estimate OG then you can find ABV from that.

There's a calculator in Beersmith that you take a refractometer and hydrometer sample at FG that will estimate OG then you can find ABV from that.

I use one from Northern Brewer like that for my ciders, ales and wines. But I don't think it would help with something that was "jacked."

I do not. Something I read, and my old tired brain whispering in my ear, that once the alcohol reaches 30% the liquid stops wanting to freeze. And again, I could be wrong.
I also had on old memory of a graph of freezing points for a water and other liquid solution at various concentrations. I think it was for antifreeze. Anyway I ran the question through Google "freezing point of alcohol water mixtures". The second person alludes to the 30% for normal household freezers. https://www.researchgate.net/post/At_what_temperature_mixture_of_ethanol_and_water_can_be_freezed

Here's one actually. File:Phase diagram ethanol water s l en.svg - Wikimedia Commons I swapped ethanol for alcohol in the search.

Last edited:
Just to note, the first link didn't specify what the percentage was based on and the second is by percentage weight.

Dry ice (-109F) around a stainless container is your best option to extract the most water

Thats what some say, but I have read in other places that it is. So I am keeping this entire idea purely hypothetical. Don't want to do anything that would bring the ATF around :inbottle:

Latest posts

Back