Can i add water to my kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianj84

Reaction score
Probably a silly question but I thought I'd ask.
So I brewed an amber ale, it's been kegged for like a week. Pulled a glass of it and it's way to malty, just a strong sweet malty taste. I know what I did wrong in the brewing but I wondered if I could somehow dilute it with letting it go flat and adding some water to it, shaking it about and re carbing it.

If not then might it mellow out with time?

You can add anything you want to it, but I don't think watery-sweet is better than sweet. You could let the keg warm back up and pitch some fresh yeast along with some crushed beano tablets to try to knock it down a few more points.

I did let it ferment for like 2 weeks. You think it needs more. Im pretty sure I got my water to grain ratio wrong so I didn't use enough water in my brew.

Because I was in a rush I didn't take it, which now I'm regretting. Any advice. Will it mellow after a few weeks?

The beer will taste better in the coming weeks, but it wont ferment anymore in a chilled keg, thus the sweetness isn't going anywhere.

You could always dispense a bit of beer into a bowl, whisk the daylights out of it with a whisk to knock as much CO2 out of solution as possible and take a gravity reading once it warms up to around 60F.

Ok cool. I'll do that now. So what if it's super high?

Then you can try to drink it as is, dump it or try to get it to ferment a little more. If you choose the latter, rehydrate a packet of US-05 in a half cup of 80F water for 30 minutes and dump the whole thing into your room temperature fermentor. Give things 2 weeks, venting some of the pressure off the keg every couple of days. That's really the simplest solution to the problem if you have a seriously high FG. Take a measurement first to see what you're working with.

if it tastes really sweet with that fg i would guess there's not enough bitterness from the hops

Back