Can I add onto this gas regulator or do I need a new one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
I currently have this dual gauge regulator that works wonderfully for my 4 keg set up over the past 2 years: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/300/category/41/

However, my 2 main beer styles are English bitters (low carbonation) and cream ales/American Pales that I like at a higher pressure. So right now, it's either one style or the other. I want both at the same time!

Is it possible to add another regulator to my existing regulator to have beers at different pressures at the same time or do I need a completely new dual body regulator like this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/double-gas-regulator.html

Cheers!

Sure just remove the high pressure gauge. Add a threaded nipple where the high pressure gauge was. Screw second regulator onto other end if nipple. Screw high pressure gauge into left side of second regulator.

I went to my LHBS and asked the same question. They told me I couldn't because the manufacturer said that everything has to be put together precisely. I told them I wanted to remove the high pressure gauge add a nipple and then reattach the high pressure gauge. After hearing their explanation I told the owner he was full of ****. To buy a dual regulator already assembled costs roughly $75 more than it would to buy each piece separately. I think the owner was just trying to make more of a profit off me. Because of this I buy all my ingredients online now. The only time I go there is if I'm in a real bind or if I decide to brew on a whim. Other than that my LHBS can go out of business for all I care.

Ok, this brings 2 new questions:

1) where can i find an add-on regulator without the tank gas fitting and high pressure gauge (since I already have those)?
2) once I have all this and assembled, does it matter what order the pressure is set at? I would think the first gauge (theh one closest to the tank ) has to be the higher pressure, or does it matter?

Thanks

It can be done because I have successfully done it. I turned my dual regulator into a three regulator system. One to serve and then two different carbing pressures. Where has honesty and customer service gone to nowadays. And if you don't know if it will work just say I don't know.

I like going to northernbrewer.com or midwest brewing supplies. They have everything you need. As far as the settings of the first regulator goes it can be anything you want. The first regulator does not affect the second. Think of the regulators as a co2 pass through.

dukes909 said:
Ok, this brings 2 new questions:

1) where can i find an add-on regulator without the tank gas fitting and high pressure gauge (since I already have those)?
2) once I have all this and assembled, does it matter what order the pressure is set at? I would think the first gauge (theh one closest to the tank ) has to be the higher pressure, or does it matter?

Thanks

You could go to an air gas supplier or a welding shop. Or call keg connection for a single add on gauge. And it doesn't matter what pressure you run on the first one. The gauges are hooked up in parallel so to speak and not a series set up. So equal pressure will be sent to all regulators no matter what they are set to as long as you have prosecute in the tank.

those regulators are marked with high and low pressure ports. you can chain together as many together, via the high pressure ports, as you want. all you need is a proper length nipple but, if it is like mine, you will need a nipple with LH threads and make sure you use thread sealer or it might leak.

Go to an air gas supplier or a welding shop for individual gauges or call keg connection. And the gauges are set up in parallel not series so to speak so all regulators will get the same amount of pressure no matter what as long as your tank has pressure.

Sorry double post. I'm still half asleep.

tewlman said:
those regulators are marked with high and low pressure ports. you can chain together as many together, via the high pressure ports, as you want. all you need is a proper length nipple but, if it is like mine, you will need a nipple with LH threads and make sure you use thread sealer or it might leak.

You will definitely need plumbers tape to wrap your threads or your new connections will leak. You can pick up plumbers tape at any home depot or lowes.

So will all of the ports be left-hand threads? In other words, if I get an add-on regulator it won't have right hand threads for the high pressure valve on one side and left hand on the gas side? Sorry to be such a dope about this I haven't taken mine apart to know what it is.

I'm pretty sure most of this is standard equipment. Of course you could be working with an odd ball regulator but I would assume you have a standard regulator. Check out the websites that I told you about and see what they have. I'm sure you will be fine for what ever you need.

So will all of the ports be left-hand threads? In other words, if I get an add-on regulator it won't have right hand threads for the high pressure valve on one side and left hand on the gas side? Sorry to be such a dope about this I haven't taken mine apart to know what it is.

Check the back of the regulator most have LH on the high pressure ports and LP on the others/ so you will need left hand threaded nipples to connect regs together Chi company has ok prices on theirs my local weld shop spoils me at 1.99 each.

Back