Can I add lactose on bottling day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Reaction score
(Sorry if this has been covered, I searched and couldn't quite find it.)
I recetly brewed a chocolate stout and couldn't track down any lactose at all in my area, so I brewed it anyway. Last time I brewed with the lactose, it had a really great creamy head. So i'd like to get the same effect.
Since lactose in non-fermentable, would there be any issues with say adding a cup of lactose to the boiling water and dextrose i'll be using to prime?

huh...interesting concept. If you do add before bottling would you report back on this thread once you sample your beer to let us know how it turned out compared to your first batch?

Absolutly I can. I have 10 gallons. So I'll add lactose to half. The only other variable is 5 galons was made with us05, and 5 with s-04. I might consider splitting one of the 5 gal to get a better side by side. Though they taste very similar at this point. Bottling should be sunday. Picked up a 50lb bag of lactose so this shouldn't happen again for a long while.

Sure. It's just like adding priming sugar that won't ferment. I've mixed both in the same boiled water and added before.

I recently did this with an imperial chile stout that ended a little too hot. No problem at all.

I did this with a Stout I brewed before Thanksgiving and everything turned out great, so don't worry.

However, I am concerned that your solution turned yellow. When I did my lactose and priming sugar together it was as clear as water. Did you happen to taste the yellow solution to make sure it was ok?

Glsd to hear it was ok. I have not seen an off white lactose before - just gors to show that there is always something to learn.

Waited a little longer than anticipated to crack one of these, worked as well as it could! If i ever forget, or cannot locate lactose, i'll know i can do it on bottling day.

Good to know, Ian. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I'll definitely file this away for future use, if necessary! Thanks again...

Picture coming asap. I cant help myself. I pour the beer, telling "myself I need to take a picture and post it"
And Bam the beer is gone.

Replying to an old thread, I know. Did you add lactose and priming sugar at bottling, or just lactose?
We should assume he added priming sugar as well, or his bottles wouldn't have carbonated.

Sacch yeast doesn't ferment Lactose, that's the key.
I think Brett will ferment it, and definitely Lactobacillus, Pedio, etc. do, so an infection by one or more of those can cause serious havoc.

How much lactose would you add if doing it this way?

And the same amount of priming sugar as normal, or less if adding lactose too?

How much lactose would you add if doing it this way?

And the same amount of priming sugar as normal, or less if adding lactose too?
Same amount of priming sugar.

I've read to use the same amount of lactose, and when I tried doing it it came out too sweet for me, however, over time it is smoothing out. If I were to do again I may dial the lactose back, maybe. The overly sweet thing may have been a recipe issue too, since I downsized it and not sure I downsized the lactose enough for it too.

Back