Can I add gelatin to fermentier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I see a bunch of adding it to kegs, but I bottle. Could I add it after primary and racking after a few days? Will that leave most my sediment in the fermenter?

Absolutely. I keg and never add gelatin to the keg. In the fermenter I drop the temp as cold as I can get it, add gelatin, wait a few days, then keg. In your case you can rack to bottling bucket and go to town.

It will leave most all of the sediment. You just have to be careful not to suck up the beer Jell-O during transfer.

I recently started using gelatin prior to bottling and have found that carbonation is taking significantly longer. Used to have drinkable bottles in 3 weeks, now that is 6 weeks. Just a FYI.

I go to 3 volumes when I use gelatin when bottling. Takes 3 weeks and the carbonation is almost where it should be.

In case the other posts didn't make it clear, I think you are fine as long as you cool the beer prior to adding gelatin. When I add gelatin, I rack from primary to keg, chill to 34-36ish F, then add gelatin to cold beer. After about one week, the beer looks significantly better and by two weeks it is clear.

Not sure about whether or not bottles need to be kept cold after adding gelatin. I just keep my keg cold until it's gone.

It is not just undercarbonation at 3 weeks for me, the beer is not yet conditioned and tastes crappy. I actually popped one this past week, forgetting that I had gelatinized it, and down the drain it went. Gave it a try for three batches and do not intend on doing it again. I can get good clarity by storing them in the fridge for a few weeks, the extra work is not worth it for me.

I feel the same way. I'm not sure it's really worth it to me either. I put it in a couple of batches and I'm not convinced it made a huge difference. I suppose I need to experiment with the same recipe a few times to definitively answer that.

I started brewing with Baker's yeast and when I did my last large order, yeast was almost entirely out of stock. Thanks, Covid.
It's fine and all, but notice flocculation. If I pour 70% of a beer, it's fine. But that last 30% starts to get much yeastier

I'm not sure how experienced you are so what is your process like prior to bottling? My first couple batches I had issues with transferring too much trub at each step of the process which ultimately ended up in the bottles.

Now, I just brew larger volumes and leave this behind at each step (boil kettle and fermenter). My finished product is much cleaner as a result. Gelatin would not have fixed my issue. Again, I have no idea how experienced you are, so this might not be the issue at all.

FWIW I’ve used gelatin in bottled beer, added to a cold-crashed primary fermenter. In my experience the carbonation time was a bit longer (3 weeks instead of 1.5-2), but I put in the normal amount of sugar for the amount of fizz I was going for. They were crystal clear at bottling, but got some kind of chill haze after the carbonation period, which went away after a week or so in the fridge.
Kegging with gelatin is easier and faster, of course, but for myriad reasons one might want clear beer from a bottle without aging it months.

I cold crash my carboys to 33F then add gelatin. Try to leave it there 2-5 days. At the end I get a tightly packed pancake at the bottom. I close transfer to keg and get clear beer by the 3d glass and super clear by second or third day. Next day on my top draft keg. Only use it for red/ambers and above.

Back