can fermentation stop early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi im brewing a pale ale at 18C in a brew fridge, I pitched some wlp 001 6 days ago into a 13L batch. Fermentation started 2 days later and only seemed to last a few days. I just tasted a sample out of the bottom spigot and it still tastes grainy and sweet like it has hardly fermented. Should I pitch another yeast? cheers

Hi im brewing a pale ale at 18C in a brew fridge, I pitched some wlp 001 6 days ago into a 13L batch. Fermentation started 2 days later and only seemed to last a few days. I just tasted a sample out of the bottom spigot and it still tastes grainy and sweet like it has hardly fermented. Should I pitch another yeast? cheers

Your yeast multiplied the first day until you have plenty but you are keeping the beer too cool. Yeast needs to be kept cool while it is actively fermenting but when that fermentation slows it can help the yeast finish up if you warm it to 22 to 24C for a few days. I usually try to control the temp for about 6 or 7 days before warming the beer. Then I leave it for another 4 to 40 days to let the yeast complete the fermentation, do the cleanup, and then settle out.

Taking the sample from the bottom spigot guarantees that you get the worst flavor as the yeast settles from the top down.

Your yeast multiplied the first day until you have plenty but you are keeping the beer too cool. Yeast needs to be kept cool while it is actively fermenting but when that fermentation slows it can help the yeast finish up if you warm it to 22 to 24C for a few days. I usually try to control the temp for about 6 or 7 days before warming the beer. Then I leave it for another 4 to 40 days to let the yeast complete the fermentation, do the cleanup, and then settle out.

Taking the sample from the bottom spigot guarantees that you get the worst flavor as the yeast settles from the top down.
Thanks for the great info! I moved the blowoff tube a bit and its bubbling again, ill start slowly warming it up

Back