Can bread yeast be the cause of off-flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nagomi

Reaction score
Is there a chance that the yeast can be the cause of a bad flavor and non alcohol tolerance? If so, what are the potential mistakes I need to avoid other than disinfection?

Over the course of about tens of times, I tried to make fruit wine out of fruit juice (100% content without preservatives) and Almost most of the time I failed. The flavor was terrible and often the alcohol content was very low or almost to non-existent.

I've thought that's because I didn't properly disinfect the carboy, which was just the juice pack itself. And one time I used a bottle of mineral water, and this time I didn't get any bad flavor, but
there was almost no alcohol.

With these two contradicting or inconsistent results, I can't figure out where my mistakes lie in or if the yeast (bread yeast branded DCL) is the problem.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes, there's a good chance that your problems are due to using bread yeast. I would try using some wine/cider yeast and add some yeast nutrient to your fruit juice. You should get much better results.

Brulosophy did a xBeerment and concluded bread yeast does produce off flavours.

Back