Can bottling wands be sanitized in a dishwasher (high temp)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
I recently bought some high-temp tubing for bottling so I could sanitize it in the dishwasher, but I was curious if your basic plastic bottling wand would be able to handle sanitization temps, and I can't find any info any of the sellers' pages. I'm fine with sanitizing it with starsan, but if I'm able to throw it in with the bottles I'd like to.
Thanks.

Any idea what temp your dishwasher gets to? I hit ~165f on mine and have run my plastic bottling wand through it without issues. I use it as a cleaning tool rather than sanitization tool though.

Any idea what temp your dishwasher gets to? I hit ~165f on mine and have run my plastic bottling wand through it without issues. I use it as a cleaning tool rather than sanitization tool though.

Hmmm... Hard to say. Hot enough that the glass bottles are too hot to handle when it's finished. Also this dishwasher was already here when I moved in so I don't have any documentation

nothing is truely sanitized unless its at 121c for about 15mins and at 15psi

dishwashers dont sanitize. no matter what that cycle is called. will it knock any beasties on there to an acceptable level? probably. but if you are trying to kill off potential contamination especially if you are having issues with it, it might not cut the mustard.

your best bet would be to boil it. your dishwasher just wont get hot enough. even then boiling wont kill every spore out there, but its about the best you can do at home.

nothing is truely sanitized unless its at 121c for about 15mins and at 15psi

dishwashers dont sanitize. no matter what that cycle is called. will it knock any beasties on there to an acceptable level? probably. but if you are trying to kill off potential contamination especially if you are having issues with it, it might not cut the mustard.

your best bet would be to boil it. your dishwasher just wont get hot enough. even then boiling wont kill every spore out there, but its about the best you can do at home.

121c is sterilization temperature. I'm not looking to perform surgery. Dishwashers are definitely able to reach sanitization temps, that's not what I'm asking. What I want to know is if a bottling wand can handle those temps (we're talking 150-180F, not C)

121c is sterilization temperature. I'm not looking to perform surgery. Dishwashers are definitely able to reach sanitization temps, that's not what I'm asking. What I want to know is if a bottling wand can handle those temps (we're talking 150-180F, not C)

I think it should be ok maybe on the top rack.

It is just too easy to pull the end off the wand and rinse the parts after use and sanitize with Star San before using again. A dish washer won't clean accumulated gunk from inside the spring assembly.

I wouldn't trust that plastic over 135-140 but not sure what it is actually rated to. And I think you might find that water and potentially krud might accumulate in the tube... more so than being cleaned. Hot PBW bath, rinse, then a few squirts of starsan solutuon imho.

It is just too easy to pull the end off the wand and rinse the parts after use and sanitize with Star San before using again. A dish washer won't clean accumulated gunk from inside the spring assembly.

I'd clean it out, first, of course. I only use my dishwasher for it's sanitation cycle (because it's easier than using starsan on all those bottles). I'm just trying to figure out what put in there and what I shouldn't chance.
I'll put in and try. Even if I ruin it, I'll know for future reference.
Thanks everybody.

Back