Can Bottles be Shipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Just curious how bottles handle the stress of being shipped. I'd hate for a top to pop and beer spill all over everything. I suppose I could use some duct tape to secure the caps even further.

Anyone with extensive shipping experience?

I have shipped a couple times and here weren't any issues. I bubbel wrapped everything and it was fine. You technically can't ship alcohol across state lines with usps so if you go there just tell them they are yeast samples and/or glass bottle art or something like that.

I use UPS usually. Wrap each bottle in small bubble wrap. Then wrap bubble wrap around the bottles horizontally & then vertically. I secure it all with fiber glass re-enforced packing tape. Then put that inside a blue plastic bag & tie off. Then stick the top of that big into the bottom of another one & tie off again. Use large bubble wrap to line the box one way. left over packing/wrapping papper in the bottom. Bottle package in. More wadded packing papper then wrap bubble wrap hanging over sides into box,cutting to size that leavs a little for tucking. More large bubble wrap over top in the other direction & tape the box shut with more fg reinforced packing tape.
You need to do this not just to protect the bottles,but to sound proof it so they can't here the bottles sloshing inside. Tell'em it's glassware,etc.
They will get there in one piece. Just ask yooper about what I sent her & Bob.

I uses double box method and have never had a problem. I use a wine box first as they are compartmentalized. Place bottles in alternated slots, fill empties with newspaper. Place a garbage bag in the second box and drop the first box in it and then tie it up and then seal the boxes. If you are enclosing paperwork put that outside of the interior box.

This is how I enter all comps or send to friends. Do not use the USPS, only fed ex or Ups and do not ship as beer, ship as glass or something else.

The easiest way is to have an account where you can fill out shipping info and print your own labels and then just drop off-no questions asked

The one time I shipped bottles across state lines, I used Fedex. I was a little paranoid and triple-wrapped each individual bottle in bubble wrap, then put that in one of those big styrofoam coolers that they sometimes ship ice cream in, and then put all that in a box and shut it tightly. The less they can move around in the box, the better. And I'm told everything arrived fine.

Also, if you plan on shipping significant quantities, buy the insurance each time you send a shipment. I have a theory that the employees of FedEx and UPS are more careful with cargo that is insured.

Also, if you plan on shipping significant quantities, buy the insurance each time you send a shipment. I have a theory that the employees of FedEx and UPS are more careful with cargo that is insured.

Generally they only know it is insured when it is insured for over $1-3k per package.

Don't worry about the tops popping its the strong point. Just package them up good like when you did the egg drop in 8th grade science.

I did the double boxing thing when I shipped 4 bottles to my daughter in SoCal. She thought it was a joke like I pulled on my wife in the old days. but they got there in great shape.

Just as a FYI too, I have brought HB internationally and on long plane trips and simply wrapped them in a T shirt and put them towards the middle of my bag. Didn't have a problem

unionrdr said:
I did the double boxing thing when I shipped 4 bottles to my daughter in SoCal. She thought it was a joke like I pulled on my wife in the old days. but they got there in great shape.

Hey unionrdr. I live in SoCal too. Good place to be with all the micros around here.

I always thought the luggage section of an aircraft was unpressurized? I then thought that might cause problems with the co2 pressure in the bottles??

ya, well it's never been a problem, always worked out fine. I have done it at least 6 times without any problems. However, never done it with super carbonated beers like belgians and such.

I always thought the luggage section of an aircraft was unpressurized? I then thought that might cause problems with the co2 pressure in the bottles??

It is pressurized on most if not all commerical passenger jets. Otherwise live cargo (animals) would die and items would freeze. The planes are generally pressurized to an altitude equivalent of ~5000 feet IIRC.

unionrdr said:

Cargo areas are pressurized just as the cabin is which is roughly equivalent to atmospheric pressure at one mile.

I recently shipped 4 One liter glass growlers and I used a ton of bubble wrap and the double box method. i think it would've have survived a drop off my roof.

Thanks for the replies on cabin pressure guys. I forgot about the animals caged thing. good to know anyway,as I haven't traveled by plane very often.
And like your growlers,mine did survive something like you described. The last one I shipped out had 2 bottles for yooper & Bob. They got there with the box skeeshed & one side torn open. And still the beers were completely unscathed. The only thing that I did differently was let'em get shipped 2 day express. It wasn't even my idea. The girl behind the counter saw the small package,got it on the scale with a measuring tape & all. She then charged me 21 dollars & change to go 2 day. I was gunna say no to save money. But then I thought 2 days allows less time for dammage,theft,etc,so I went for it. I won't be making that costly mistake again. No offense to anyone...

Back