Can anyone please verify is this is mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Hops

Reaction score
...and does the cider need to be tossed.

-5 weeks in a primary (no secondary)
-dry hopped 2 weeks ago for 5 days.
-cider has sat in primary for 10 days since.

Attachments

• 2mbvbklqlwx31.jpg
    2mbvbklqlwx31.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 88
Is it fuzzy?

Looks like wild microbes more than fuzzy mold. But pic is a little out of focus to me. How does it taste?

Side note, looks like way too much headspace for 5 weeks, may be a contributor to the pellicle.

Is it fuzzy?

Looks like wild microbes more than fuzzy mold. But pic is a little out of focus to me. How does it taste?

Side note, looks like way too much headspace for 5 weeks, may be a contributor to the pellicle.

Didn't taste it yet.

This is what it looks like after I took a sample from the top

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_143742370.jpg
    IMG_20191110_143742370.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 48
Looking at both pics,looks like a pellicle which most likely means wild microbes in the fermentation.

Sour/tart may be from lack of sugar.

I am assuming this is store juice or orchard juice for drinking, not cider making blend. Not uncommon for a tart finish as there is no sugar and low bitter/sharp/tannin flavors to balance the acid.

I definitely would. Retaste once cold and carbed. You can consider adding 1-2 quarts of juice of choice if keeping cold(preservatives are ok at this point) at kegging, or add a splash of juice to each pour if it's still too tart.

Keg it. I’ve had a pellicle several times With pressed juice cider. I dosed with campden before kegging. No off flavors that I detected. But once I saw the pellicle I didn’t let it sit for too long.

Mine usually have some of that, but I don't think it's mold. But it's never been a problem and my cider tastes great.

I had that once, didn't know about oxidation back then and the cider started out "sour" and got worse over time, and eventually became undrinkable. I actually kept a little and made mustard with it and that was not bad.

Back