Can anyone give a newbie bottling tips, especially a new wand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabba

Reaction score
I just have a bottling bucket with a simple wand that came in the kit. I find that it leaks a lot which bugs me. Are there better wands to get, or methods of bottling?

Thanks

Mine leaks a little too, so I bottle over the open door of the dishwasher (got that tip from here). Keeps the mess contained. Then when your done you just close the door and run it to clean up the mess. They do have some bottling wands that have a spring in them to keep it closed. I personally haven't tried one yet.

What do you mean that it leaks? I know that question sound dumb but....
My bottling bucket spigot, if I over turn it it may leak sometimes. But if I turn it to just left of ON then it no longer leaks.

Try that and see if it works.

And over the dish washer. That's what I do.

Still using my original Brewer's Best bucket and spigot. Also using a spring-loaded bottling wand with 1/2" tubing. I attach one end to the spigot, connect the wand, and turn on the spigot using gravity feed. In case the wand leaks, you can shut off the valve and pinch the hose.
The first couple of times I just filled from the spigot but now there's much less mess and more accurate fills.

I assumed mine had a spring in it, but if it's just by the weight of the beer in the wand that might do it. I need to clean it anyway so I'll try to pull it apart. If there's no spring I'll upgrade to one with a spring.

I've been using a wand with a spring in it for years, and recently upgraded to one without a spring. The new one flows faster, and if the bottle has a tall narrow neck, I can top up by pressing the tip against the side.

I've got to vote to go with one with a spring as well. I used one without a spring and sometimes the valve would get stuck and not shut off when bottling. It happened 3 times with a 5-gallon batch and I probably lost a full bottle of beer that day. That was the last time using a non-spring one.

Both leak a little, and by leak, I mean a few drips between bottles. If you're getting more than that, something is definitely wrong.

The comment about bottling over the dishwasher was also a good one, I used to do it over a bowl, but the dishwasher is easier on cleanup.

If only I had a dishwasher! haha

I have a bottling wand "with spring." It still leaks a little - but it's just a few drops here and there.

I use a deep cookie sheet underneath the wand in case a few drops keep coming out when I'm not filling a bottle to catch any runoff. It's probably about 3 oz or so at the end of bottling day.

Whenever I'm bottling, my pup (6 month old Labrador x bulldog) is busy jumping on me and knocking into things the whole time to make sure I do spill a little. :)

I need to bottle some beer tonight...

You can also try attaching a bung between the spigot and wand. That cut my dripping down to less than 1/8th what it was.

I'm at work right now so can't supply pictures (will do when I get home though)

But as for how it cuts down on dripping, my bottling wand fits just a bit loose into my buckets spigot, but nice and tight in the bung (like a blow off tube would) and the other end of the bung fits very very tight on the spigot.

I'm at work right now so can't supply pictures (will do when I get home though)

But as for how it cuts down on dripping, my bottling wand fits just a bit loose into my buckets spigot, but nice and tight in the bung (like a blow off tube would) and the other end of the bung fits very very tight on the spigot.

Hmmm, why not just cut a 2" piece of siphon tubing and splice between spigot and wand? Btw, I think most leaking takes place on the bottom of wand where the valve is. Spring loaded wands seem to drip a little but not as bad as wands without a spring. JMO

No pics needed. I understand what you're saying now. Like the above post, cut a short piece of tubing to attach the wand to the spout.

Back