Can any ball lock posts be used on any ball lock keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
I recently picked up three well-used ball lock kegs, and it looks like one or two of them need new posts. All of them have posts that look like this, which I gather aren't super common:

lO9i8Qx.jpg

My question is, can I replace these with more conventional ball lock posts, like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714D1JTT/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Did a bunch of searching and didn't come up with a convincing answer, but that could be user error. :)

Are the kegs labeled Firestone or Cornelius or AEB?
That will be the biggest difference.
Check with Brew Hardware. They have posts for both. They also have the deep well sockets to fit.

There are at least three different threaded risers on Cornelius-style kegs:
9/16"-18 (Firestone V/VI, Challenger and Super Challenger gas posts), 5/8"-18 (Firestone V/VI, Challenger and Super Challenger liquid posts), and 19/32"-18 (Cornelius Spartan and AEB gas and liquid posts).

So it's important to know what you're dealing with - especially whether the threaded risers on a keg are the same or different.

I reference chicompany.net for anything to do with ball lock posts...

Cheers!

Looks like two are Spartan and one is a Super Champion, all Cornelius branded.

Only Cornelius gas posts came in 12 point and that would be 19/32” – 18. I would take that post and see if it threads easily on any riser you're not sure about before ordering replacements.

But I should ask why you think there's a need to replace any posts. I have 16 kegs that were likely somewhere between 30 and 50 years old before I got them and while I replaced every single O-ring just on GPs I didn't have to replace a single post - or poppet, even...

Cheers!

But I should ask why you think there's a need to replace any posts. I have 16 kegs that were likely somewhere between 30 and 50 years old before I got them and while I replaced every single O-ring just on GPs I didn't have to replace a single post - or poppet, even...

The rims of the posts (just above the small o-ring) are chipped and dented on a couple of the kegs. They still hold pressure, so I guess it's fine, but it makes me nervous.

Back