Campden for Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
Does anyone use campden (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) when bottling to reduce oxidation risk? I've read elsewhere that 1 tablet in the bottling bucket works well but haven't found a ton of info otherwise.

It's not a common practice. While I haven't tried it, I know people do this with success.

If you try it, please report back with the results.

with wine, you use 1 campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite for 5 gallons. It's to help with oxidation and will kill some bacteria.

Good luck!

with wine, you use 1 campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite for 5 gallons. It's to help with oxidation and will kill some bacteria.
I haven't seen anyone use sulfite levels that high for bottle-carbonated beer. I'd be concerned about possible hydrogen sulfide production. You want to try it and report back? ;)

Sulfite is not anti-microbial in beer, the pH is too high.

It's not a common practice. While I haven't tried it, I know people do this with success.

If you try it, please report back with the results.

You've got my wheels turning, I might split the batch and dose one half and leave the other alone.

Does anyone use campden (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) when bottling to reduce oxidation risk? I've read elsewhere that 1 tablet in the bottling bucket works well but haven't found a ton of info otherwise.

I've tried it. It didn't work for me. But I think I didn't use enough. I only used like 1/8 tablet for a couple gallons. Probably should have used a whole one.

I was going to add 0.45 grams of K-Meta to 6.5 gallons going into bottles. Should I add more? When does it get added?

Has anyone weighed a tablet of K-Meta? I seem to recall them weighing about 0.70 grams. I have the powder version.

I was going to add 0.45 grams to 6.5 gallons going into bottles. Should I add more? When does it get added?
That amount of k-meta powder is fine (if I recall correctly from the other thread).

You bottle condition, right?
Gently dissolve the power in a little water and add it along with the priming sugar solution before racking into the bottling bucket.

I just bottled my most recent batch and ended up splitting it into two 10 liter portions. One was treated with half a Camden tablet (.31 grams) mixed in with the priming sugar solution. The other half was untreated. I’m going to let them sit at room temp for a week or so, then another week in the fridge before I sample them.

My beer's been in the bottle for a few weeks now, and I've been able to do some triangle test with some friends. I've had 10 total people try it and no one can consistently tell the beers apart. I know I can't, they taste the same to me as well.

My beer's been in the bottle for a few weeks now, and I've been able to do some triangle test with some friends. I've had 10 total people try it and no one can consistently tell the beers apart. I know I can't, they taste the same to me as well.

Is there any noticeable color difference? Did the bottles with the metabisulfite added carbonate as quickly as those without it?

Is there any noticeable color difference? Did the bottles with the metabisulfite added carbonate as quickly as those without it?

Color and carbonation are basically the same as well. I let them sit at room temp for one week then in the fridge for one more before sampling. My main concern with this was how it would affect the carbonation but I needn’t have worried.

Color and carbonation are basically the same as well. I let them sit at room temp for one week then in the fridge for one more before sampling. My main concern with this was how it would affect the carbonation but I needn’t have worried.

It will be interesting to see if 4 months from now there is any dramatic color or flavor difference between them.

Back