Campden Chloramine Removal Affecting FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
Recently had a couple high FG problems. This is rarely a problem for me.

Has happened in two beers so far. Brown ale with Irish ale 1084 finished at 1.024. Mashed at 152-154. Should've been around 1.016. Porter in the fermenter now with British Ale 1098 (hopefully it'll continue to drop). But it's been a week and I'm at 1.026 (started at 1.062). Both were made with starters or ample number of smack packs. Mashed at 154

I started using campden tablems (potassium metabisulfate) to remove chloramines from my water. I add it the mash/sparge water (along with my other water adjustments).

That and the use of my Thermostar as mash temperature probe are the only real changes I've made to my brewing process lately. I assume the thermostar is reasonably accurate. Even if it's off by a coupel degrees it shouldn't affect my FG by as much as I've noticed. So I'm left wondering if my use of campden tablets is having a residual affect on my yeast health.

Anyone have this experience? Or am I crazy and the boil will be more than enough to destroy yeast inhibiting elements of the tablets?

Recently had a couple high FG problems. This is rarely a problem for me.

Has happened in two beers so far. Brown ale with Irish ale 1084 finished at 1.024. Mashed at 152-154. Should've been around 1.016. Porter in the fermenter now with British Ale 1098 (hopefully it'll continue to drop). But it's been a week and I'm at 1.026 (started at 1.062). Both were made with starters or ample number of smack packs. Mashed at 154

I started using campden tablems (potassium metabisulfate) to remove chloramines from my water. I add it the mash/sparge water (along with my other water adjustments).

That and the use of my Thermostar as mash temperature probe are the only real changes I've made to my brewing process lately. I assume the thermostar is reasonably accurate. Even if it's off by a coupel degrees it shouldn't affect my FG by as much as I've noticed. So I'm left wondering if my use of campden tablets is having a residual affect on my yeast health.

Anyone have this experience? Or am I crazy and the boil will be more than enough to destroy yeast inhibiting elements of the tablets?
You would have to be using way too much campden in order for it to affect your yeast health. Typical dose is 1/2 tablet per 10 gal of water.

I'd suggest calibrating your thermometer. If it reads a few degrees low, you would be mashing hotter than you planned, leading to less fermentable wort.

Brew on :mug:

I typically use a whole tablet to treat 8-10 gallons, as I'm too lazy to split it and never have issues with high FG. I agree with the previous poster that it appears more likely that your new thermometer is a bit off at mash temps.

I always use a whole tablet for 10 gallons of water (mash and sparge) without a problem. I just finished a saison using Danstar Belle Saison yeast that finished at 1.001. I agree it is probably your mash temperature.

I agree with everybody else here, I use 1/4 tablet for 8 gallons and I haven't had a problem with FG.

Thanks guys. Glad to hear it's probably not the campden. It's high time I replaced the battery on my standard brewing thermometer anyway

Back