Came Across Free BevAir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderwagn

Reaction score
Driving down the road yesterday I came across a BevAir with a sign that read, 'free' needs some tlc, maybe a recharge. Looking on the www, it looks to be the bm23? Anyway, the dispensing tower is missing and I haven't had time yet to go through the thing to pinpoint any or all problems. With any luck, it belonged to a group of college kids and something like a relay, capacitor, or thermostat failed and they are all leaving for the summer and just considered it done. About the only thing I've had time to do is plug it in and can confirm that both fans work. So maybe there is some hope.
Worst case, I've already got a keg setup and don't really want or need another. What I really want is a fermentation chamber and hopefully this will fit the bill! If this thing doesn't cool any longer without a lot of expense or work, what are some possible easy options to turn it into a chamber? Like said, the fans do work, so maybe some way to control temps by adding ice? Looking for some ideas here.:fro:

I had the exact same bev air die on me a month ago. I had to check your location to see if it was the same one. I changed the relays and capacitor, but it was a leak in the coil outside. depending on your effort level, I'd think about mounting a little cheapo boat/rv ac unit (about $100) on top and call it a ferm chamber. I wish i'd held on to mine and done that.

I had the exact same bev air die on me a month ago. I had to check your location to see if it was the same one. I changed the relays and capacitor, but it was a leak in the coil outside. depending on your effort level, I'd think about mounting a little cheapo boat/rv ac unit (about $100) on top and call it a ferm chamber. I wish i'd held on to mine and done that.

Not a bad idea. I'm sure I could retrofit something up fairly easy if it came right down to it. After this weekend, I'll hopefully have a better idea of the issues.

Not real sure of the diagnosis just yet. I did some cleaning and poking around. Thermostat seems to be functioning as it should. Compressor kicks on and runs, as do both fans. I get cold through the capillary tube, even a bit of frost on it inside at the evap coil, but that's about the extent of the cooling lol. Cant' tell that the evap coil chills at all. Compressor does warm up and I believe the suction line gets a tad warm. When I shut the unit down, I can hear 'flow' (not sure of proper terminology) indicating that there is at least some charge I'm guessing. Not real sure if there is a blockage or possibly low on charge. Those are my thoughts anyway at this point...

Back