Cam-Locks or Tri-Clamp Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
Im trying to decide whether I should go with the Cam-Lock or Tri-Clamp Quick disconnect fittings. Please provide insight on either since ive never used either of them. :mug:

I've never used tri-clamp, but camlocks are the right price and function for me. The only reason I'd use Tri-clamp would be if I was doing everything with sanitary fittings, i.e. no threaded fittings. I've never checked, but I'm guessing that the tri-clamps are pretty pricey.

Tri-Clamps are what the pros use - and those of the homebrew area who have been doing it a while and don't mind spending the money. They are expensive because they are sanitary and built well. http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/

We in the homebrew field don't have to break down everything after every time we use it so we have the benefit of using quick disconnects:

There are cam-locks which everyone loves because they are big (in terms of flow) and are at the right price.

I personally have spent lots of money on the morebeer SS quick disconnects because they are almost as big - and well - I started with those so I just kept going... oh and they are just plain sexy with their polished ends =;>

Now there are plastic (CPC) quick disconnects too - http://www.morebeer.com/search?search=plastic+quick

We in the homebrew field don't have to break down everything after every time we use it so we have the benefit of using quick disconnects:

I think it's the exact opposite when it comes to triclamp fittings. There is no need for sanitary parts on the hot side, but it does make CIP much more effective. Their main benefit for a brewery on the hot side is that they don't have to break everything down. Indeed using Triclamp because they are sanitary is moot since there are plenty of other components that homebrewers use that are not sanitary, for example pumps and hoses.

I run a mix of tri-clamp and Cam-lock. the big advantage to camlocks is cost as it'll be roughly 1/3 the price per complete fitting set. They are also a bit easier to work with as the gasket is captive, although triclovers are pretty easy once you've used them a lot.
Triclover is easier to clean and more flexible as they are genderless, so you can mix and match to connect about anything to anything.

I also use both, really lov the tri-clamps for my pots accessoris (of course my pots are equipped with tri-clamp fittings and Love them much) and use the camlocks to connect hoses quickly.

PS Tri-clamps rule on ur equipment...

I think it's the exact opposite when it comes to triclamp fittings. There is no need for sanitary parts on the hot side, but it does make CIP much more effective. Their main benefit for a brewery on the hot side is that they don't have to break everything down. Indeed using Triclamp because they are sanitary is moot since there are plenty of other components that homebrewers use that are not sanitary, for example pumps and hoses.

You are right about the CIP - I just figured as he only has posted a few times I would simplify my overview- my bad :smack: See - no good deed goes unpunished right? lol

However - I have never seen a brewery not break down everything, clean and sanitize it every time when they are done with it. In my mind TC just makes it easier...

What I should have said is that "we have the benefit of being lazy" =;>

thanks for all of the feedback. Im still on the fence about which to choose the TC are about double the price, however I do like they are genderless. I guess my next decision is how much more equipment will I be acquiring over the next few years to justify spending the extra money

Camlocks are much easier to use and cost a lot less.

The only advantage triclovers have over camlocks is the sanitary issue, but if you use triclovers with any threaded fittings, well...that completely defeats the purpose.

I'd only use triclovers if I were going pro. And I'd make sure to have zero threaded fittings on my rig.

I know this is an older post but, I'm wondering why a barbed SS camlock is less sanitary than a triclamp?

I know this is an older post but, I'm wondering why a barbed SS camlock is less sanitary than a triclamp?

polish of the metal I think. Not too significant on our scale IMO. I use a combination because I hate using teflon tape, but cams are easier to connect.

True, but they aren't much different in cost than their other ball valves. My buddy's brewery has a bunch of these, they're nice.

I had both, hated both. The camlocks (for me) never really broke in, and needed two hands to cinch them down. Triclamps never became one handed either. Then I got the stainless disconnects from Morebeer, and never looked back. (VERY high dollar though, and a slightly different version can be had cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51_55

They're more than the camlocks, but beat the pants off 'em in terms of usability for me.

Back