Calm My Fears!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
In the not too distant past I started fermenting in a corny keg. I then attach a "jumper" hose from the fermentor to the serving keg once fermentation is complete and move the beer by adding CO2 pressurization. This has been one of the best modifications to my brewing process yet. I love it! However, the last time I did this an issue came up that I'm concerned about:

At the end of the transfer (when all the beer had been moved to the serving keg) lots of bubbles were added to the beer due to the remaining CO2 also getting pushed through the line to the serving keg. My guess is that since this would mostly be CO2 it would be okay---not oxegen. Is this right? Or could I have hurt the beer in some way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help!

If you purged the tank you were transferring to, then you should be fine. Most, if not all of the oxygen should have been expelled during the fermentation process from the first keg, so no worries.

primary fermentation? what are you doing to stop the transfer of trub?

Simple---the dip tube was cut about 1"----therefore leaving everything else behind. Clearest beer I've ever made. I also harvest the yeast from the fermenting keg afterwords---no problems! I DO NOT miss using a beer siphon. Takes about 5 minutes.

Back