Calling all welders (TC Welding Cost)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpyyyyy

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some sanitary TC fittings welded to a stainless vessel. How much do you think would be a reasonable amount for each fitting or total? I'm trying to get some quotes and it seems to be much higher than I thought it would be. Hoping someone here can corroborate my thoughts for pricing.

$30 each is about right. What were you quoted, and what will they do for that (back purge, grind/sand/polish the weld zones)?

$30 each is about right. What were you quoted, and what will they do for that (back purge, grind/sand/polish the weld zones)?

I'm getting quoted $80 per fitting with back purge and grind sand polish all welds.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kind of high imo.
Shop around before making any agreements.
$30-$45 per fitting seems right, unless your getting it done at a reputable shop.
I've been quoted $80 for a SS fitting & large plasma cut off cg.

Check out craigslist, they have many good welders looking for work.
My girlfriend does all the welding for me. :rockin:

$80 an hour is a good rate around here. Anything less is a deal, assuming it's the same quality of work.

Be careful with guys that will say anything to get the work. You sound like you know the right questions to ask. Make sure they will guaranty both their work, and the the kettle if they ruin it.

$80 is cheap if they are good. $20 is extremely expensive if they suck (if the hint is too subtle, they'll trash your pot and all you'll get out of it is 40 cents a pound at the scrap yard). Regardless of whatever price you find reasonable, bring them a small stainless sauce pan and a TC ferrule and pay them to weld that. If they butcher it, it was money well spent.

Regardless of whatever price you find reasonable, bring them a small stainless sauce pan and a TC ferrule and pay them to weld that. If they butcher it, it was money well spent.
A stainless pot from the thrift store and a stailess pipe nipple would work for a proof. There's no need to sacrifice a more expensive fitting.

Why not solder the fitting on if your capable? There are plenty of articles on here and all over the web describing of to do it and you can save quite a bit of money.

We charge $50 for each weld. However we have specialized tooling that speeds the whole process up. Do they shops you're talking to have the TC flange tool? I'd be REAL nervous. I'd definitely have them prove that they've welded TC fittings beforehand.

We charge $50 for each weld. However we have specialized tooling that speeds the whole process up. Do they shops you're talking to have the TC flange tool? I'd be REAL nervous. I'd definitely have them prove that they've welded TC fittings beforehand.

What tri clamp flange tool are you talking about? Care to post a pic and/or describe it?

I paid 45 dollars for each of mine here in Minnesota. I got the reference from a local homebrew club member. The welder learned to do stainless, food grade welding when he was the contracted welder for a large honey making company. He worked on all the tanks that held the honey.

Back