Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up Meshuggah's new album The Violent Sleep Of Reason. It's f**kin' amazing. So excited to see them at Aftershock this Saturday!

Just saw Sully from Godsmack acoustic at a tiny theater in NYC...Storyteller like show..Awesome..The guy has mad talent

20161102_201508_resized.jpg

Just giving the New Metallica a first spin. Loving it. :rockin:METAL:rockin:

I am in San Francisco tonight at a Epica concert. The first opening band whose name I don't know has a decent chick singer but their sound man really sucks. I have been running pro sound on-and-off for 39 years, and it looks like they are playing along side recorded music tracks.They are called " The Agonists" , now I know why they are an opening band..more reviews to come soon.
The band playing now is Fleshgod apocalypse, and their drum track is pre-recorded just like the last band. ****. I just spoke with the lead singer of The Agonists it's a shame that that the venue screwed her and her band out of a good sound check.

Any The Chariot fans here? Luckily I got to see them before they broke up. Remedying that loss by catching Every Time I Die and Norma Jean anytime they're within 300 miles.

I was listening to a Pandora station named Classic Metal. ... ACDC and Motley Crue. Not to knock them, but those aren't metal bands.

They also played Led Zeppelin. Great band. Certainly influential to early hard rock and metal, but is it metal? Is Iron Butterfly?

I was listening to a Pandora station named Classic Metal. ... ACDC and Motley Crue. Not to knock them, but those aren't metal bands.

They also played Led Zeppelin. Great band. Certainly influential to early hard rock and metal, but is it metal? Is Iron Butterfly?

I'm with you. None of those bands are metal by today's standards, although in their day, you could make an argument for all of them except AC/DC. At this point they are classic rock, not metal.

I'm with you. None of those bands are metal by today's standards, although in their day, you could make an argument for all of them except AC/DC. At this point they are classic rock, not metal.

I'm not crazy about adding bands to classic rock based on age. Classic rock is more its own genre based on its own sound and style than something a band becomes after so many years.

Journey, Chicago, Boston, Kansas, Skynyrd, Rush, Queen, Nazareth. Those are classic rock. Guns and Roses doesn't become classic rock. Neither does Motley Crue. Bon Jovi can screw right off. He doesn't get to elevate to classic rock status just because some years go by.

Classic rock was made by bands in the late 60s to maybe, maybe, early 80s. To me, it's mostly a 70s sound.

I've been getting into Chimaira a lot lately. I have Their self title album and Resurrection.

Okay, this isn't a Metal Post, but three nights ago I was able to watch Trey Stone play and shake his hand at the end of his set. Some things just get better with age.

Well, we only have one day left before 2017 begins. Every media outlet known to man has already published their yearend list (best of movies, books, music, TV, beer, etc). I have seen some good ones, some that I have never heard of the bands, and some that I don't agree with. I normally make a music list every year to see what I thought was my favorite albums of the year. And when I look back on them 2 years later, I realize certain albums have remained as revered while others have fallen to the wayside.

This is my list for 2016:

1) Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolution
2) Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows
3) Inquisition – Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Altar….
4) Cult of Luna + Julie Christmas – Mariner
5) Abbath – Abbath
6) Exmortus – Ride Forth
7) Church of Misery - …And Then There Were None
8) Cobalt – Slow Forever
9) Cough – Still They Pray
10) Nails – You Will Never Be One of Us
11) Kvelertak – Nattesferd
12) Gorguts – Pleiades’ Dust
13) Alcest _ Kodama
14) Gojira – Magma
15) Magrudergrind – III
16) Neurosis – Fires Within Fires
17) Trap Them – Crown Feral
18) Big Business – Choose Your Weather
19) Revocation – Great is Our Sin
20) Dillinger Escape Plan – Dissociation

And that is it.

Like I said, I will probably look back in 3 years and wonder why on earth I ranked that Church of Misery so high, but right now, those riffs just stuck with me all year. On a side note, I realized that there aren’t really any underground albums making my list anymore. I listen to a lot of the critical darling underground bands (this year – Vektor, Mithras, Saor, Wode, Wormed, Harakiri for the Sky, Forteresse, etc), and they just don’t stick. I mean, don’t get me wrong, they are all pushing the boundaries of metal, but I don’t find myself going back to them. Maybe I am just getting old.

It seems I enjoy more of the “Decibel Magazine” bands, and I am completely cool with that.

Do you all make a list, or am I just a music dork with too much time on my hands. I would love to see a couple if you have time to put them here.

Headbanger, I know you listen to a ton of music, what were your favorites this year?

Nice list DR, I'm with you on the Inquisition & Hammers Of Misfortune; two monster albums there. While I haven't given much thought to a best of list yet it was certainly a good year. Here are some some that I have really enjoyed in 2016 off the top of my head...

Sunburst - Fragments Of Creation
Medevil - Conductor Of Storms
Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire
Divine Weep - Tears Of The Ages
Summerlands - S/T
Altar Of Oblivion - Barren Grounds
Diviner - Fallen Empires
Ancient Empire - Other World
Battlesword - Banners Of Destruction
Bewitcher - S/T
Mob Rules - Tales From Beyond
Blazon Stone - War Of The Roses