California Common with WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imrook

Reaction score
I wanted to brew a California Common, but accidentally used WLP001 instead of WLP810. It's currently fermenting at 58 F. I know it's still gonna make beer but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this before or if anyone can tell me what difference to expect. I'm thinking about getting some WLP810 and doing a second batch to compare. Any thoughts?

001 will still make a very clean beer at lower temps. The only thing I might do is raise the fermentation temp to about 62F. Fermenting that low might make the yeast drop out too early. Is 58F the ambient temp or the actual temp of the fermenting beer? Also, did you make a starter and oxygenate?

WLP 810 is what makes a CC a CC. It's a hybrid yeast. It's technically an ale yeast but when it ferments, it gives lager-like characteristics. What you've brewed is essentially a pale ale. I'm sure it will be a good beer, but it just won't be a Cali Common without that yeast.:mug:

Edit: I like your idea of brewing an identical batch with the 810. Do it, and you'll see the difference. What was your recipe, by the way?

Yeah, I guess it will be more "amber" than "pale". Good beer, in theory...

Jamil Z. says that a true CC, in addition to the yeast, is "made" by Northern Brewer hops. I brew my CC's to style with NB hops, but I'd like to brew one up with some Cascades or Centennials.

Is 58F the ambient temp or the actual temp of the fermenting beer? Also, did you make a starter and oxygenate?

58 is the actual temp of the fermenting beer. I should be able to get this up a few degrees by moving it to a warmer spot. I did not make a starter (I know, I know...) but did oxygenate the wort.

Actually steam beer is made with a lager yeast that ferments at ale temperatures. 58F might be too low for the WLP001. It may not attenuate all the way unless you bump the temperature to low to mid 60s.

Yeah, I guess it will be more "amber" than "pale". Good beer, in theory...

Jamil Z. says that a true CC, in addition to the yeast, is "made" by Northern Brewer hops. I brew my CC's to style with NB hops, but I'd like to brew one up with some Cascades or Centennials.

midwest has a cali common kit that uses citrus-y US hops instead of northern brewer hops.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
midwest has a cali common kit that uses citrus-y US hops instead of northern brewer hops.

Weird.
Anchor Steam only uses NB hops, so any other isnt a "clone" if you care about that. BJCP style guidelines also call NB or similar rather than citrusy hops.

Well, guess you didn't get up to Sonoma and/or Mendocino County to try the girlie brews here.

Yep, Russian River Pliny the Elder.. real girlie.
RR Blind Pig.. same
Bear Republic Racer V, Racer X, HopRod Rye, etc.. hmm.. pretty effeminate.
Anderson Valley Brewing Brother Davids Double and Brother Davids Triple... yep, you guessed it.. girlie..
Lagunitas IPA
North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.. Oh gee....
On and on and on.

Love the WC brews.. and that's only the local to me stuff

Well, guess you didn't get up to Sonoma and/or Mendocino County to try the girlie brews here.

Yep, Russian River Pliny the Elder.. real girlie.
RR Blind Pig.. same
Bear Republic Racer V, Racer X, HopRod Rye, etc.. hmm.. pretty effeminate.
Anderson Valley Brewing Brother Davids Double and Brother Davids Triple... yep, you guessed it.. girlie..
Lagunitas IPA
North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.. Oh gee....
On and on and on.

Love the WC brews.. and that's only the local to me stuff

Uh...what's this have to do with California Common or Anchor Steam?

Well, in addition to using the wrong yeast, I dry hopped with too much NB hops. The original recipe was for 10gal. I cut everything in half except the dry hop addition. :eek: It's very drinkable, but a far cry from Anchor Steam at this point. The WLP001 did a good clean fermentation at low temp, but it's still an ale, no question. I got some Wyeast 2112, but have made a bock and a schwarzbier with it as I currently have the temps and time that I need to lager them in my garage. The Anchor Steam clone will have to wait a bit longer.

WLP 810 is what makes a CC a CC. It's a hybrid yeast. It's technically an ale yeast but when it ferments, it gives lager-like characteristics. What you've brewed is essentially a pale ale. I'm sure it will be a good beer, but it just won't be a Cali Common without that yeast.:mug:

Edit: I like your idea of brewing an identical batch with the 810. Do it, and you'll see the difference. What was your recipe, by the way?

It's a lager yeast that tolerates unusually high temps - it can be treated like an ale yeast but still produce drinkable lager-like beer. If you brewed Anchor Steam with wlp-001, wouldn't it just be a pale ale or an IPA?

I'm not sure I would dry hop a california common but most of the homebrewed examples I have are nowhere near as hoppy as (fresh) Anchor Steam.

I made one once and it was like toothpaste. I must have run into some bad NB hops or something. Never bought NB hops and never brewed a Cali Common since. I drink Anchor Steam from time to time when on the West Coast. It doesn't seem to travel well.

Back