California ale vs Wyeast American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrakis

Reaction score
Quick question: My local homebrew supply store was out of white labs california ale yeast, but said that Wyeast american ale yeast was the same exact yeast strain, just different company/name. I have seen online the comparison charts, showing white labs to wyeast, and it was the wyeast substitute. My question is... is this the same exact strain of yeast or a close substitute? Reason being, i was going to wash and culture from my last batch (which was american ale wyeast). Now that my WLP 001 is back in stock, i wasn't sure if i should just purchase a vial, or continue to reuse previous as planned. The last batch in question is still in primary, so i can't just go off of experience. I love me some california ale yeast for my IPAs

those two are fraternal twins and will make virtually identical beer. i feel like WLP 001 makes a brighter beer but you have to have the two side by side to detect this.

Back