Cali Lager Starter: Fridge it or let it ride?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was planning to brew a California Common tomorrow, but my son has taken ill and I'll likely take the day to take care of him.

I have Wyeast's California lager yeast on the stir plate right now and here's my dilemma:

Do I put it into the refrigerator to cold crash it to be brewed with on Tuesday (5/5/15); or

Do I let it keep running on the stir plate?

Variables: It only had one day at 70+ degrees as I switched my heat source over to my APA brewed last weekend. So most of the week it's been rocking at about 60 degrees (It and all my brewing stuff is in the basement. My wife hates the "tinkle" sound of the stir bar.)

My feeling is that it may be done so go ahead and crash it (I started it on Tuesday). But my brain says, maybe as a lager it could use a few more days at 60?

I just did a lager using the same yeast. You will be good to go for putting it in thre fridge and cold crashing. But if it were me I personally would wait another day.

Based on the advice of my new best friend; CJ-3, I decided to let it ride.

This begs the question, when should I cold crash it for a Tuesday brew day?

Since you started it Tuesday I think that Friday nigjt it can go in the fridge till brew day.

I try to give 3 days of cold to drop the yeast out. I'm assuming your starter is so big that this is called for. If your starter is just like 1 to 1.5L then I wouldn't bother. Just pitch the whole thing. I don't find yeast particularly like being refrigerated like that, so I avoid it if possible.

I should have mentioned that I cold crash for 3 days because 1-2 is rarely enough, at least for my lager yeasts. Sometimes 3 isn't enough either.

Back