Cali heat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cknittle

Reaction score
Brewed a hefe yesterday, and made a swamp cooler for the first time. What I didn't expect was the rediculously hot day California had in store today. I'm in a small apartment with no A/C. I it spent 1 day at above average temps will it be ok?

Temperature control for your beer is important, especially during the first few days. Ultimatley, you're beer will probably turn out just fine, so I really wouldn't worry. Any affects of the rise in temperture depend on several factors like, the yeast strain, when in the fermentation cycle the temperture variance occured, the duration of the increased temparture, and the actual temperature the beer reached.

Brewed a hefe yesterday, and made a swamp cooler for the first time. What I didn't expect was the rediculously hot day California had in store today. I'm in a small apartment with no A/C. I it spent 1 day at above average temps will it be ok?

put ice bottles in with the swamp cooler. helps A LOT

I did a Hefeweisen a few weeks back and fermented too hot... It was augest, so the temps were a bit higher than normal, never went over the recomended temps suggested by Wyeast, but still too hot, the beer numbers were right on spot EVERYTHING went as planed, I was realy on target with beer smith, the only problem is the Wyeast 3068 Weisenstephen gave me "banana" tastes in my beer so now I find that my Hefe isn't at it's best ;( It's not bad but i've tasted better :)

All due to fermenting temps !!

Good luck bro :)

Back