Calculating OG with AHS Alcohol Boost?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chays99

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for this time. I just finished brewing the extract version of the AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale. This is my second time to brew this beer, but I added the 1% alcohol boost this time. Without the alcohol boost, the OG should be 1.059. I came in at 1.052 after adding top off water and mixing well. Where should I have been?

Thanks!

I would say you're looking at about adding 8 points to your gravity for a 5 gallon batch. So if a kit advertises a 1.059 O.G. the boost should take it somewhere around 1.067. I may be off a point or two but should put you in the ballpark.

Good question, I have been wondering about this also; specifically, how to account for this addition in Beersmith, Promash, or other brewing software.

While it does not change the color, it does raise the gravity. I would like to know what effect this has on the overall process.

It's interesting that I went down in gravity instead of up. With the few AHS kits I've done before, including this one, I've always been spot on to the OG and FG.

I might call AHS tomorrow and ask how to calculate when the boost is added. I couldn't be the first person to question it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back