Calculating IBU from hopped starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey all--

I've got in the habit of saving extra wort from brewdays for future starters--I pressure can it, and it makes life a lot easier.

Generally, the yeast in the starter has sedimented, and I cold crash and decant before pitching. This brewday, however, the starter has been slow to get going, and I can't forsee it will be ready to decant by pitching time this evening.

I'm brewing a dubbel, and the starter is from a best bitter--it's 1000ml of 35IBU wort. I will likely have to pitch the whole thing into my carboy, which will have 6 gallons of dubbel wort.

The question is, should I worry about the IBU contributions of the starter? Is there a way of calculating it, so I can adjust the IBUs of the dubbel recipe?

Thanks,

CB

I'd be hard pressed to say it would matter much. 1000 mL isn't a large percentage of 6 gallons. I mean if you absolutely wanted to make sure you could just approximate by 95% of the beer being your dubbel IBU's and 5% being your starter IBUs and find what the final is.

Honestly I wouldn't even do that though. It probably won't affect it enough for a persons taste threshold. Your dubbel IBU's will be a fine approximation.

Thanks so much. I looked up other threads on blending and calculated the percentages--basically blending a 6 gallon beer with a .2 gallon beer--you are right, negligible. But you know how it is, at the end of an all-grain brew day, with a beer you have a lot riding on (this will be for my wedding, has some special ingredients), the gremlins come out in your head.

Latest posts

Back