Calculating Heat Rise from Dough In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
This weekend I am using my 10 gallon igloo cooler as a mash tun. In the past when I used it I never did a dough in at 104 so I just heated water, added it to the cooler to get it to mash temp, then added grain. The heat would drain into the cooler a bit so I would always add about water at about ten degrees above mash temp to get it just right.

Today I always use a dough in at 104 and raise the mash temp from there. Not sure how to calculate the water temp for this addition b/c the igloo cooler can absorb/drain a lot of heat from mash water.

Any suggestions on how to calculate this?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I dough in at 104* as well.

I always preheat my mash tun with 2 gallons of boiling water. I put the lid on it and let it set for 10 minutes. I then drain the tun, but leave the amount of water under the false bottom intact.
Then I dough in using .8 of water per lb. of grain. The water temp I use is 99* since the mash tun is so warm. Once I mix in the grains, it comes out to a perfect 104*.

Latest posts

Back