Calculating gravity after fruit addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABarritt

Reaction score
So I brewed an amber ale with an O.G. of 1.069, then after about 13 days I racked it onto 1lb of cherries. Gravity at transfer was 1.013. Question is...is there a way to calculate how much this raised my gravity, and therefore when I take my final grav reading to adjust for this in ABV? Any thoughts or equations are helpful.
Thanks

In most cases the liquid in the fruit will balance out any sugars, so you're estimated OG will be unchanged.

Very good thank you. Would I need to adjust anything to calculate for my FG/ABV to account for additional sugars being consumed by the yeast? Or should I just expect a lower FG/higher ABV...

It really depends on the fermentability of your original wort. If it was low, your attenuation may go up, but I doubt you'll see much change.

Just noticed that your beer went from 1.069 to 1.012 before the fruit. That almost 83% attenuation. I believe fructose potential is about 1.046. I don't know the amount in 1lb of cherries, but still don't think you'll see any change in FG or %ABV. It's more about the flavor you'll gain.

Actually, in most cases, the effective OG will go down with the addition of fruit. The amount of sugars in the fruit compared to the volume of the fruit will have a lower volume sugar content than your original wort.

Fruit has roughly 10% sugar. That is, 1 lb of fruit will have roughly the sugar content as 0.1 lbs of plain sugar.

Therefore in 5 gallons, 1 lb of fruit will add roughly .001 to the gravity, but since the overall volume increases too, the gravity in most cases goes down.

I just ignore the fruit addition and use my OG and FG measurements as normal

It depends on the fruit, grapes have 16% sugar, cherries 12, and raspberries as little as 3! There are lots of lists online.

If you drink 4 or more in a sitting and are smiling at the end, then you added the right amount of fruit. :)

Latest posts

Back