Calculating Fruit Puree Gravity additions w/ Beersmith...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So i am basically attempting to duplicate a McMenamins Ruby ale from here in Oregon for a friend who wants some for our big group New Years party.

Its not a technical beer it seems, its basically just GW 2 Row, a bit of wheat and maybe crystal and then some Raspberry Puree.

The issue im having is that their stated info is this
Original Gravity: 1.038
Terminal Gravity: 1.005
Alcohol by Volume: 4.39%
Calories: 170 per pint

I was not sure if this was the ABV of the wort, or the wort+puree.
So i double checked and 1.038 to 1.005 is indeed 4.3% ABV, so 1.038 must be the starting gravity with the puree...

Im looking at a 3#(48oz) can of the fruit puree that averages 10 Brix according to the manufacturer(although i can measure this with my refractometer).

How would i go about entering this as an ingredient in Beersmith so i can hit my 1.038-1.040? I tried just adding a Sugar type of 1.040 Yield(10 Brix), but when i add 3# of it to my recipe it shoots up .020 gravity which seems wrong...if that was the case they would be brewing a 1.020 beer(basically 3# of 2 row), adding the 3# of puree to get it up to 1.040? I cant see a fault with my logic/math but it also seems implausible that half of their sugar/ABV is coming from the fruit?

I keep seeing all of these clone recipes using 6-8# of 2 Row plus fruit, as if no one is accounting for all the sugar that the fruit add, which of course is going to put you at a much higher ABV and not really taste at all like this beer...which should be light and crisp and not alcohol hot...

I've accepted that Beersmith has flaws. The one that gets me is that it doesn't calculate ibu's for whirlpool hops. However, if somebody has an answer to the sugar additions that purees add, I would be very happy.

Also i just found out after more searching the brewery posted 42# of Puree for 210 Gallons, which calculates out to 1# of Puree for 5 gallon batch which is way lower than i anticipated but my question still stands...

I dont see why the math would change, its just sugar and almost all of it is fermentable....

Back