Calculating amount of dextrose after lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Tong

Reaction score
I got my fermentation chamber for Christmas and immediately put a lager in it. I have a bucket fermenter and my plan is to let it ferment at low temp for about 10 days and then raise the temp to 22 to let it ferment out completely. i am not going to open the fermenter. Then i will lager for a few weeks.

My question is, after lagering should i bottle it cold or let it rise to room temp first and if i bottle it cold, does this have any influence on the amount of dextrose i need to add?

Don’t lager it in the bucket. A bucket is not a good long-term storage vessel.

Instead, bottle it after its stand at 22C and use that temp to determine the amount of priming sugar.

After bottling, store in a warm place for 2-3 weeks to carbonate. Then, and only then, should you lager for additional weeks (in the bottles) before drinking.

Lager it any way you want. I've bottled more than 160 batches since 1999 and I never adjust priming sugar for temperatures and have consistent results. Just use your standard amount. For me and my imperial measurements, that's 5/8 cup or 4.1 ounces per 5 US gallons.

Lager it any way you want. I've bottled more than 160 batches since 1999 and I never adjust priming sugar for temperatures and have consistent results. Just use your standard amount. For me and my imperial measurements, that's 5/8 cup or 4.1 ounces per 5 US gallons.
Are there still enough viable yeast after extended lagering to kickstart the dextrose to bottle, then condition and carbonate the beer?

It's been years since I bottle conditioned a batch, and that was always ales that probably never got below 65F the entire time, so plenty of yeast to carb things up. I'd have thought cold lagering for a month or more would cause the yeast to go dormant and fall out, never making it into the bottle. Never really tried lagers until I started kegging and had rudimentary temperature (chill) control.

Brooo Brother

Are there still enough viable yeast after extended lagering to kickstart the dextrose to bottle, then condition and carbonate the beer?

It's been years since I bottle conditioned a batch, and that was always ales that probably never got below 65F the entire time, so plenty of yeast to carb things up. I'd have thought cold lagering for a month or more would cause the yeast to go dormant and fall out, never making it into the bottle. Never really tried lagers until I started kegging and had rudimentary temperature (chill) control.

Brooo Brother

Hell yeah, there is plenty of residual yeast for at least 8 or 9 weeks. If lagering for much longer than that then I would recommend adding just a gram or two of fresh yeast to be safe. But nobody usually lagers for that long.

Thanks for that! After extensive research and some complicated math i calculated it's exactly how much i normally use which is about 6g/litre 😁

Back