Calculating ABV without hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt_andy

Reaction score
I'm sorry ahead of time if this is not in the correct place. Mods Feel free to move it to the correct location. My lady asked me to make this Stawberry Lemonade for her. Im always brewing beer and wine.. So it seemed simple enough. However, I'm trying to figure out an easy way to figure the % of alcohol.

I made a strawberry lemonade recipe that I found with ever clear.

Here is what I used.

8 Cups of Sugar
24 Cups of Water
8 Cups of Fresh Lemon Juice
64oz Pints of Strawberry Purée
1.75L of Everclear (190 proof)

Now it came out REALLY good. The lady loves it.

My thinking process was to convert everything to cups.
8 cups of lemon
24 cups of water
8 cups of stawberry
7.396825 cups of everclear.

But does the sugar affect it? I know the ever clear is 95% alcohol how do I account for that. Doing math I came up with around 5% That seems pretty low or inaccurate. I was under the impression it was going to be really strong. Like there was warning all over the recipe that its really strong and be careful. 5% is like a normal beer and not strong.

I did find a Dilution Calculator (http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute) I took a screenshot after I entered all the info into the calculator. That seems to say its around 20%. 20% is more i like it. That is more of what im looking for.

Straw.PNG

This is VERY loose math:

~47 cups/7 cups= ~15% everclear

If we call your everclear 100% alcohol, that's roughly 15% alcohol in your drink. Now, reduce a little for my fudging the math and I'd say your drink is about 13% abv. That's very strong for something that should be fairly sweet and drinkable. Ymmv.

The sugar won't change your abv because you aren't fermenting. You're making a mixed drink. A hydro would serve no purpose here.

The sugar won't change your abv because you aren't fermenting. You're making a mixed drink. A hydro would serve no purpose here.

That is why i posted w/out a hydrometer. I knew I wouldn't be able to use it. I know how to calculate when brewing as i do that often with my wine and beers. However, this time my lady just asked me to make this for her for the summer.

I knew there was some sort of formula. I didn't know the formula. I see your post above. It seems as if you add up all the volume including the alcohol. Then divide by the amount of alcohol. you will get the answer.

15-20% is what I was shooting for. If defiantly does not taste like its that high (is a good thing). I think I can add a 2 more cups of alcohol and it will still be sweet enough to enjoy.

Please tell me if this is correct.

I've converted to cups.

24 cups of water
8 cups of lemon
8 cups of stawberry
7.291667 cups of clear
total volume = 47.291667 cups

7.291667 *.95 = 6.92708365 cups of 100% alcohol

6.92708365/47.291667 = .1464 (14.6%).

I think the calculations above are pretty close, but there is some volume loss on mixing alcohol & water. To be 100% accurate, if you measured the total final volume, it would be: Ve/Vt * (% alcohol in everclear), where Vt is total final volume and Ve is volume of everclear added.

Essentially you're cutting the Everclear with non alcohol flavor ingredients. That's how moonshiners temper their product from the still to the bottle; They add water. You're using taste instead.

what is Ve and Vt? So i can better understand what your saying..

thanks.

Edit*

I understand.. thanks

7.291667/47.291667*.95 = .1464 (14.6%)

If it were my wife I would use this simple and reliable formula.

% ABV = 45 / n

Where n is the number of 6 oz glasses she drinks before she thinks I'm good looking and a great dancer

Back