Calculated recipe incorrectly, need to adjust mixed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Brewing a doppelbock tonight, and here's my recipe and what I bought last night:

14 lbs. German 2-row Pils info
6 lbs. German Light Munich
.75 lbs. Weyermann Carafa® I

1 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.

White Labs WLP830 Bavarian Lager

Bought this and mixed all the grains together as I normally do. I've brewed this recipe before and it's very good. It usually comes in around 8%. Unfortunately, when I got home, Beertools was set to 55% efficiency instead of my usual 70%. So this is now a 10.5% beer... A tripelbock?

So, since all the grains are mixed, should I just leave out about 2 lbs or so of the grain to get down to the % I want? If they were separate, I'd just take out 2 lbs of the Pils... I'd imagine some of the Carafa would be pulled out as well, making it a touch lighter... And I guess I have no alternative here though if I want to reduce it...

Or...... Tripelbock. Thoughts?

Wow.

I'd either increase the batch size - if you can - or simply remove a proportion of the grist as you've already suggested. The trouble with the latter is if the grain is already crushed. You don't want it to go slack and waste it. If it's not crushed, just save it. Or if it is crushed, just use it in a different beer as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Bob

Grains not crushed yet... Increasing batch size is a solid idea, I'm just strictly equipped for 5 gallons. I usually have 7 gallons boiling down in my 9 gallon kettle.

If you're worried about screwing up the grain ratios, you could just partigyle it.

Since the ingredients are mixed, but in the right proportions, you could simply throw away however much of the grain you need to get you to the right OG. Or, you could can the extra wort that would be produced from a larger batch size to use as starter wort later.

Back