• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ohio Cacao nibs $8 pound -- willing to ship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primed

Reaction score
Did some work for an organic bakery and got 10lbs of cacao nibs as a thank you. Willing to sell at $8/pound + actual shipping cost if not local to Cincinnati.

Ive gotten emails reserving most of the nibs, but I've still got a couple pounds left if anyone is interested.

$5 for shipping, so $13 total. If that sounds good, PM me your address and we'll go from there.

Thank you to all that have purchased! I've got 1 lb left if anyone is interested.

The last of the nibs have been spoken for, thank you to everyone who messaged me. Happy brewing everyone!

I've gotten a lot of messages from people inquiring if I can get more nibs, so I will contact the bakery and see if they will sell me any bags. I don't know if they are allowed to.
I have some more work I need to do for them in late June, so worse comes to worse I might get some more then. Stay tuned...

Talked to the Bakery - if I get 20lbs worth, it will be $8/lb.
So now it's a matter of seeing if there are enough people who want to get nibs.
If you're interested, send me a message or post here. Once 10 people have said yes, I'll go ahead and get the bags and ship out.

I got a question about how to use the nibs, so I'm posting my reply on here in case anyone is curious:

The best way to use them is to put 4oz in a glass jar with enough vodka to barely cover it. Let it sit for 3+ days (the longer it sits, the stronger the flavor and aroma) and then add to your fermentor right after primary fermentation ends. Let it sit for 7+ days, and your beer will have a great chocolate aroma and taste. The longer you let it sit, the bigger the flavor extraction, but past 8 days or so it doesnt increase much more.

Another great way that I've used them is to make chocolate belgian candi syrup with them. Just follow a recipe for making candi syrup (this is the easy recipe i use: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/10/homemade-candi-syrup.html) and just add nibs once the water starts to boil. This imparts a much more milk chocolate flavor to the beer (and dries it out a bit) vs. the nibs, which impart a more complex dark chocolate flavor. Just depends on what chocolate flavor you want from the nibs.

Some people add them into boil because they are looking for some complex bitterness from them, which this accomplishes, but you dont much chocolate flavor from this method.

Back