c-brite for sanitizing corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
Can I use c-brite to sanitize my corks before bottling?

How long should I soak my corks?

thanks

Don't soak your corks.

If you feel that you need to sanitize the corks, you could do a "humidor" of sulfite solution if you want. I dissolve whatever campden tablets I'm using at bottling in 1/4 cup water, put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and stir. Then I place that cup in a larger bowl and put the corks around it and cover it. I let that sit while I sanitize the bottles.

dont the corks need to be wet so slide in the bottle?

If I use your method (that Im sure works great ;) ) will the corks be moist enough to be pushed in?

thanks Yoop

dont the corks need to be wet so slide in the bottle?

If I use your method (that Im sure works great ;) ) will the corks be moist enough to be pushed in?

thanks Yoop

Well, I've never had "wet corks" because any liquid just sort of rolls off anyway. But if you're trying to jam #9 corks into a 375ml bottle with a handcorker, I could see trying to moisten them I guess. A good corker will put the cork in the bottle.

Whatever you do, even if you decide to moisten them (which I wouldn't), do NOT boil or soak them. They'll fall apart.

I have a brand new right out of the box portuges (sp?) floor corker! pretty and red

so to get this right.....first time bottling

I fill the bottle.....and push the cork in!?...thats it?

I have a brand new right out of the box portuges (sp?) floor corker! pretty and red

so to get this right.....first time bottling

I fill the bottle.....and push the cork in!?...thats it?

Yes. The cork goes into the top of the floor corker. You put the bottle on the "disc" bottom. And pull the lever- that's it! The corks go right in like magic. The floor corker compresses the corks and puts them in the bottle easily.

You may have to play with the adjustment a bit, otherwise the cork may not go in far enough or go in too deep. So make the first bottle a practice bottle.

For a 375ml bottle, you can cork those too. You just need a hockey puck under it. Trust me on this!

Latest posts

Back