By Popular demand? The Asahi Dry Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First the disclaimer: I filtered(1 micron) and force carbonated it, it still has some chill haze and isn't retaining head well (but pours) with a respectable head.. I probably should have used a clarifying agent in the secondary because of the protiens from the rice. The Taste was enough that for the first time My Japanese wife is drinking the beer with out criticism (except "where did the head go?"). It came out better than I expected except for the 2 issues above.

Here be the AG recipie (based on pellets adjust if you use leaf):

.5# Pilsner malt/or light crystal (under 10L)*
6# 6 row pale
2lb unwashed Rice (use calrose, or an imported Japanese rice.. no uncle bens or minute rice, you want the kind with starch powder on it)**
1# rice hulls (or your mash will be ugly thick and a stuck mash assured)
2oz Saaz
wyeast 2007 or WL 840

For extract steep the Pilsner or crystal if you can find it under 10L*
4# extra light DME
1.5# rice syrup solids

Target OG 1.048-1.054
Target FG 1.007-1.008

My Results: OG 1.056 FG 1.009 Target IBU is 16-18 I think I came in slightly low :eek:

** Grind the rice in a coffee Grinder then cook for 20 min until soft.. Add to the mash. Mash at 122 for at least 30 min (the protien rest in this recipie is really important because you need to condition your rice sludge before sacc rest)
increase to 148-150 for 60 min (150 Max this is a light dry beer you want max conversion your target is 1.007 FG) minimal residual sweetness is key here.

Hops are 1.25oz for 60, .75 for 15

Irish moss is not an option use it!.. next time I'm going to add some gelatin finings to the secondary.

Crystal 10L is acceptable if you don't care about the color.

The picture is dark color here was about right 3-4SRM light enough to read thru cept the chill haze :(
overall I give this recipie a 7, I will definately make it again with a touch more hops and be more anal on the protien rest temp(since the wife likes it) and it actually does taste like an Asahi

3008-asahiclone.JPG

a great recipe & only one found worth reading. suggest a trick for removing chill haze(read in charlies book), add 1tbs of finely ground black patent malt to the end of the mash; also, at end of boil pour through sparge equip. as hop pack. easy to do and will help. joefrazell

Thanks for the recipe budbo!
I am going to try and make a batch of this next weekend.
I have a question on the rice.
I am using Japanese medium grain sushi grade rice (already have a bunch of it)
How do I cook the rice? Just like I would if I were making sushi rice?
Put rice in pot and fill with water to 1 inch above the rice and bring to simmer covered for 20 minutes.
Should I use this same method or use more water so that the water does not totally evaporate / absorb after 20 minutes?

Also, what volume of Co2 do you recommend?

totally old bump but drinking an asahi in asia now and yes, this is miles above budweiser or molson canadian i think. seems like its between a CAP and a BMC.

I don't think Japan exports rice. Also, it is possible they use some amyloglucosidase (sp?) in the mash to make it more dry.

Beer in Japan is better than the stuff you get here. For one, most of it is made by AB. If you can find Yebisu (sounds like ebis), it's pretty close. Kirin makes a beer called 'Kirin Classic' which is quite hoppy and all-malt. Never seen it in the states, but it's my go-to in Japan.

I use Koshihikari japanese rice in one of mine that it very similar to this but mine comes out a little malty and a bit darker in a side by side with Asahi which I like, Imo Kirin heartland is one of the best Japanese beers ive had. But looks like a good beer and recipe.

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

I stopped brewing for a few years, maybe about 7 years! I think this will be my first new batch.

Budbo, I am looking to get into homebrewing and have actually purchased the ingredients for this recipe, would you mind if I reached out to you for information on crafting this beer? Would love any information you can provide. I've never brewed before.

Back