Buying East Coast beers, which ones and where at.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey -

Looking for some input from those of you on the east coast. My parents are currently in Baltimore for a while as my sister had a baby this winter. They will be out there for a bit yet, and will be driving back to Iowa. I would like to get them a "Beers to buy me" list, so they can bring me some beer back when they come. Which leads me to a couple questions.

#1 - Is there any place they can buy Heady Topper in/around Baltimore. Or, on the way back home - I-80.

#2 - Particular recommendations for beers available in that area that I should have them look for. In particular, I am looking for Pale Ales, IPA's, Hoppy Amber Ales.... Also a fan of british ales, british mild, and the lighter german lagers as well as things like vienna lager and O'fest. Not a huge fan of belgians, imperial stouts, sours, etc.

#3 - are there any particular stores you would recommend that I could have them look. Again, baltimore area, or I-80 on the way home.

Thanks for any advice.

1. I think Heady Topper is only available in Vermont.

2. Union Craft Brewery in Baltimore is a smaller newer brewery putting out some good beers. Most of their lineup is draft only but they do package some in cans.

As for other East Coast breweries, I'd recommend anything by Troegs, Sixpoint, DC Brau, or Terrapin.

Troegs makes some good German style lagers: Troegenator, Cultivator, and Sunshine Pils (Doppelbock, Helles Bock, and German Pils respectively). Also Perpetual is my go to IPA.

3. Two recommendations for retailers, both with great inventories, both within about a 20 min drive from the city:

The Perfect Pour (Elkridge). A bit over-priced but massive selection that turns over quickly, impeccably organized, helpful staff.

Dawson's Liquors (Severna Park). A bit cluttered, but great selection, reasonably priced, nice guys.

Hope that helps. :mug:

DC Brau, Evolution, and Du Claw are all decent breweries in that general area. I'm not familiar with specific stores, but all those breweries should be readily available at any good bottle shop in that area.

Hit the nail on the head with DC Brau. I've lived in the balt/dc area for a long time, honestly, there isn't much here that isn't everywhere else. A few really small local only breweries like Iron Hill and Mad Fox, but you won't find much of that in stores.

I second the perfect pour in Elkridge, they're awesome. Agreed on being overpriced, but the selection is unparalleled and the staff is generally pretty friendly. Dogfish Head is one of my favorites here, Aprihop is out right now. REALLY good stuff. DC Brau is good. DuClaw has some good stuff. Although I used to like them a lot more than I do now. Brewer's Art I have heard is great but not sure if they bottle or not. Stillwater is good. Evolution Brewing out of Salisbury is good. Lot 6 DIPA is amazing.

Second that Heady is only distributed to VT btw. And a very short radius at that.

Troegs does distribute Nugget Nectar there as well. A hoppy amber.

I would definitely hit up Du Claw and DC Brau is a new one I was just sent that I love. Definitely worth checking out.

Noy sure if Allagash has distribution down that far but I'd keep an eye out for their Belgian beers.

DFH has its operations in northern Delaware. Last time I was in the Baltimore area I deviated to hit up their tavern in Rehoboth. Heavy Seas is from Maryland IIRC. Both of those have pretty good distribution to the west though.

if your taking 80 home Id assume you would be taking 283N off 95N to 81N to 80E correct? (sorry thats the truck driver in me) if so Id take 81S to exit 61 and Visit Al's of Hamden. Lots of beers on tap there! google them and look them up, wont disappoint. Then Jump back on 81N and continue your journey! Id also stop by Breski Beverage in Harrisburg or Westys in Camp Hill. dont sell single bottles but you can find a nice case or two of something good! There are some other bottle shops on your way back I could direct you too and get you back on the road if your not in a hurry! Good luck!!

I second Aprihop from DFH as I just got this years 4 pack and not only is it a great beer but it has awesome artwork. Although DFH throughout most he country.

DFH tavern will have experimentals on tap. The time I went I tried all their standard stuff because that was my first brewery visit.

If OP is into the DFH120 it might be possible to find it in Baltimore? I know up the East Coast states like CT only get 1 case per year!

Awesome info.... thanks. This should definitely be useful. I did visit my sister a couple years ago and a bunch of us spent a week in Rehoboth..... Needless to say, I was at dogfishhead every day:)

Back