buying Clarity Ferm in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your girlfriend has celiac, you should use all gluten free ingredients. Reducing gluten with clarity ferm is not safe for her. Its fine for those who are just intolerant.

Can you pm a link to where your purchased the 1L bottle? Clarity Ferm is good for at least 1 year. Clarity Ferm does not need to be refrigerated. To store your 1L bottle simply store it in a cupboard or wherever out of the sun and light.

I don't know how the enzyme will react once the bottle is half full or less over time. I suggest you use it up as fast as possible with in 1 year. There needs to be an expiation date on that bottle from the place you bought it from. If you noticed when you purchased the 10ml vial it's on the shelf at your LHBS and not in the fridge.

If you make 5-7 gallon batches I would put that 1L bottle into 10ml vials. You can purchase food safe 10ml vial from Amazon or eBay. Just make sure you sanitize the vials before putting the enzyme into vial. Fill the vials all the way up so there isn' any head space int the vial. This way your all set up and you will have a bunch of 10ml prfilled and premeasured ready to go on brew day.

Or

Call the people that mKe clarity Ferm "white labs" and see what they say for bulk Long term storage.

Labatts

I thought the 1L bottles were sold in concentrated form, so 10 ml is not necessary for 5 gallon batches?

Most of the recent posters don't have their locations set up, so I can't tell if they are Canadian or not.

If you are in Canada, Post #27 sets out where I got mine.

I would not, and do not offer this to celiacs under any circumstance. Diagnosed celiacs can have reactions from so little that unless I sent my beer for testing I wouldn’t offer it. The result for them is increased chance of intestinal cancers. Not worth it for me. I agree with brewGF above.
My wife is gluten sensitive, tested non-celiac, and gets gut unpleasantness, and a skin rash from too much gluten. Clarity Ferm allows her to have a glass when she feels like it.

I concur I got it from bosa grape in Vancouver. That place is a candy store for homebrew.

Greetings all, resurrecting a dead thread. I am from Western NY (in the states) and am also sick of paying the $5 per pack for a 5 gallon batch. Is anybody interested in splitting a bulk buy? They no longer sell it in 250mL sizes nor does anybody appear to sell multi-packs of the 10mL homebrew size. We have also established that the industry strength of Clarity Ferm requires only 2mL per 5 gallon batch. So a 1L, split among 4 people, would be approximately 120 batches worth. In 2019 (as in, current time), my LHBS says it is $130 retail. I may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but just for the sake of it, let's say $35/person (for shipping). After (7) standard gravity 5-gallon batches each person would break even. I usually brew double batches and for higher gravity brews I would probably add something like 5-6mL

Also, some food for thought. If you have a fresh vial (expires more than 1 year away), and you have a "standard" gravity beer (1.045 or so), 5 gallon batch, you can easily use half a vial and be safe. The vial states it can be used to treat 5 - 7 gallons. Assuming it is fresh, it can probably treat something like 7 gallons of 1.055 wort from 100% barley beer. This would be the same as adding half a vial to two separate 5-gallon batches of beer that is 1.040. One of those batches can be an oatmeal stout that is 1.050 with 20% of the grist being oats. Or a 1.060 Belgian strong that used 2 pounds of corn sugar. All of these worts have the same gluten concentration / Clarity ferm dosage.

Latest posts

Back