Buying Bottles Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally dislike buying bottles online. Are there any local options? LHBS? Buying them back from a recycling company? Asking neighbors or friends?

There's a few bombers at my little IGA market that are under $4. If you assume your brew costs you $1.50 per 12oz in ingredients alone, then you're only paying $1 for the bottle.

For kicks and grins, I put 5 cases of 22's in my cart. Note these are 12-bottle cases, not 24's like you'd get with 12oz bottles.

Merchandise Total $70.55
Tax (Tax exempt?)
Small Order Fee (Orders Under $75): $15.00
Shipping & Handling $67.02
Promotional Code:
Apply
Order Total $152.57

$67 shipping, PLUS a small order fee? F!@# that mess.

That's $2.55 per bottle shipped.

For the price you're looking at paying, drive to costco buy a case for $18 and drink your case. By the time you added shipping to those bottles, you'd be paying for full cases of beer.

Or check craigs list.

Sorry you need a costco membership or have someone with one buy you a gift card. I meant 12oz 24 for $18 house brand. Also Sam adams around $22.

Check Craigslist for bottles. I picked up 10 cases of 22ozers for $50 ($5 a case of 12) Had to clean em but that wasn't that hard.

I split batches with 22's and 12s when I bottle right now. the 22s are mainly for me, the 12s for gifts.

Go to a bar that serves craft beer, ask the bartender to save them for you. Promise him or her a six pack, you'll have a lifetime source.

Sorry you need a costco membership or have someone with one buy you a gift card. I meant 12oz 24 for $18 house brand. Also Sam adams around $22.

Nope! Not for me! :)

The Consumerist said:
Need some quality alcohol at discount prices? Don’t want to sign up for a Costco, Sam’s Club or BJ’s membership? There may be hope for you!

SmartMoney did a little investigation and what they uncovered is downright magical — old state blue laws allow citizens of certain states to buy alcohol from “membership only” wholesale clubs — without a membership.

Here are the details:

Costco: Membership is not required for purchases of alcohol in the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas and Vermont.

BJ’s Wholesale Club: Membership is not required for purchases of alcohol in the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas and Vermont.

Sam’s Club: No membership required!

Went to a liquor store today to browse their selection.

Blue Moon 22's were 2 for $3. They do have the Blue Moon stamp in the glass, but it's practically free Wit at that point.

Samuel Smith Nut Browns are $3.49 here and absolutely delicious. A very distinctive bottle, to boot. Just gotta scrub off the foil.

They also had something else at 2 for $4, but now for the life of my I can't remember. SNPA maybe?

Go to a local craft brewery. I checked with mine that has the nice 500ml bottles and they will sell them for 50cents a piece. I bet 22s are less.

I can't get the link to work on my phone so I couldn't see a price. Looking at the catalog I use, "12 New, heavy duty re-cappable 22 oz brown bottles" are $13.95 plus actual shipping. These guys ship fast. www.homebrewery.com

JW

I saw in some magazine that 12, 12 oz. grolsch like pop top bottles were 35$. I went to the beer store and saw a four pack of 15.6 oz. grolsch for 8$. I've been having fun "emptying" all the grolschs and don't have to worry about caps anymore or even bottles unless one of these breaks. I'm only brewing 2 different 1 gallon batches so it wasn't that bad.

i ended up just buying some sam adams. haha. it seemed like the smartest thing to get. Get to drink and get bottles at the same time.

The "free bottles" thread in the classified section is likely a cheaper source than any mentioned above. ;)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/got-free-bottles-give-away-post-em-here-157575/

I've given away ~2 dozen cases of bottles in the past year, about half of them bombers. I started collecting from friends when I first started brewing, and they keep giving me bottles even though I've told them all I don't need them anymore. I don't think I ever bought any bottles.

Just wanted to post an update. Bought a few Blue Moon bombers, drank em while doing yard work, and realized theyre twistoffs. Aaaargh!

Ended up putting up a wanted ad on CraigsList and came by ~12 cases of bombers and ~20 cases of 12's. Now to delabel and supascrub. :/

Back