Buying a "no-chill" container locally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmarshall

Reaction score
I am still in my first year of brewing and I have recently upgraded my kettle and purchased an outdoor burner for full-sized AG batches (5.5 for now) so there are no funds remaining for a fancy wort chiller so I am going to explore "no chill".

Every time I look for info on the HDPE containers I am dragged back to the USPlastics website. Those look great, but I don't want to pay double for a product to be shipped to me. Can anyone suggest a retailer that would have this seemingly affordable and commonplace jerrycan on site so I do not have to have it shipped? (Like what kind of store sells this type of stuff? Food safe water jugs? Marine supplies? I am stumped and don't know where to start looking). :confused:

Thanks

Walmart sells a 5 gallon water can for camping that I believe some here use for no chill. Simpler yet, no chill in your kettle. I have started doing this w/ favorable results.

Most Plastic Fermenting buckets are rated to 150-170 degrees, so if you are coming off a boil, you could either melt the fermenting bucket or leech some chemicals out of the plastic at 150+ degree temps when you first transfer from the kettle to the no-chill vessel.

So, the vessel needs to be able to handle near boiling temperatures and preferably be HDPE/FDA food grade containers to be suitable as a no-chill vessel.

Most Plastic Fermenting buckets are rated to 150-170 degrees, so if you are coming off a boil, you could either melt the fermenting bucket or melt some chemicals out of the plastic at 150+ degree temps when you first transfer from the kettle to the no-chill vessel.

So, the vessel needs to be able to handle near boiling temperatures and preferably be HDPE/FDA food grade containers to be suitable as a no-chill vessel.

My Ale Pail was advertised as HDPE No 2 Food Grade Plastic. Are "HDPE/FDA food grade containers" different? Seems to me that the Ale Pails will work. To be cautious I would maybe try to chill the beer down some from 212.

Several posts claim that Ale Pails should not be used with liquids over 160 degrees. I wouldn't put boiling wort anywhere near a bucket.

Per the FDA website, HDPE is safe up to 180 degrees long term and 212 short term. amd doesn't melt until 266.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference in density or whatever would be between an Ale Pail and a Vittles Vault, but I'm just telling you from other people's experience that a Ale Pail does not work as a no-chill vessel, as it can't take the high temps, whereas a Vittles Vault (which is also HDPE) can, possibly because it is a bit higher density.

Several posts claim that Ale Pails should not be used with liquids over 160 degrees. I wouldn't put boiling wort anywhere near a bucket.

Per the FDA website, HDPE is safe up to 180 degrees long term and 212 short term. amd doesn't melt until 266.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference in density or whatever would be between an Ale Pail and a Vittles Vault, but I'm just telling you from other people's experience that a Ale Pail does not work as a no-chill vessel, as it can't take the high temps, whereas a Vittles Vault (which is also HDPE) can, possibly because it is a bit higher density.

Thanks for the clarification. I know not to question the powers that be here at HBT, it just seems like it should all be the same material. Density does play a role I suppose.

I've used an ale pail to hold sparge water at 180 deg F. Granted that was for only 20 minutes, but it did not melt or even disfigure much. Batch turned out tasty too.

I actually have an ale pail that is on the verge of being decommissioned (too much abuse, stains, etc). I should boil up 5 gallons of water and dump it in. Let it cool down (if it doesnt melt through) and taste to see if I notice any off flavors. Then use the mutant third arm that I grow to help out on brewdays.

on a side note, i can't add anything to how well the vittles hold up to liquid heat, but i have a large one i use as a charcoal container next to my grill and it is exposed to the elements year round (i live in PA so it gets lots of snow) and it still looks brand new after 2 years..

i doubt a pail would look the same being outside like that

Back