Buying a house based on homebrewing convenience? !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So we are looking to purchase a new home... our first home. Is it wrong of me that every house we look at I judge its merits by how easy and convenient it will be to continue or progress my hobby? Lol. Looked at a winner today going for a second viewing tomorrow with family members and a tape measure. Three car garage with fresh concrete paint and built in cabinets galore! Funny that's what im most excited about given the whole house has been gutted and refurbished. THe things us brewers do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm pretty sure brew-space will be a priority of my WIFE'S the next time we go to buy a house. I have currently commandeered 1/2 the 2-car garage and the kitchen is pretty much unusable by her on brewdays. Sometimes I also take over the guest bathroom for equipment cleaning purposes. She wants me to have a dedicated brew-shack more than I do.

I'm pretty sure brew-space will be a priority of my WIFE'S the next time we go to buy a house. I have currently commandeered 1/2 the 2-car garage and the kitchen is pretty much unusable by her on brewdays. Sometimes I also take over the guest bathroom for equipment cleaning purposes. She wants me to have a dedicated brew-shack more than I do.

Same here!

Happy wife = better beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When we built our house almost 15 years ago, we put in a "brew room" in the basement..... my wife was all for it as it got me out of the kitchen and garage. It also contained all my "stuff" instead of trying to store it all over the place. She also uses the room for canning. I would definitely take it into consideration if it is something you think you will continue to pursue.

My next house will have a much bigger garage for brewing. I have plenty of storage and fermentation space now as well as a 7 tap bar in our finished basement which is nice. I just have to jigsaw my car and my single tier into my 1 car garage. Luckily I drive a MINI. If I had a bigger car I'd have a bigger problem. I don't think it's wrong to judge a house by your hobbies. The house we bought was previously owned by a bachelor that loved sports. He had TVs on the wall in every room including out on the deck and in the master bathroom. It was a big selling point for me....

Just closed on our house a week ago....I would not look at a house unless it had room for me to continue to brew...and a place for a bar/keezer. So I think you are perfectly normal wanting those things in your house. Plus your swmbo will appreciate it as well.

Its definately a plus for the wife as well as she recently threatened to be done with supporting my hobby if the kitchen and all its utensils went missing again. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

That's party of the reason I got mine. Went to the wider open basement, saw the deep sink plumbed in and all the space I could use and was sold

Sent from my Torque using Home Brew mobile app

One day I will have a house with many outbuildings and a basement, so I can have room to putter about in at various hobbies. Mmmm.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Definitely. I have plenty of room for brewing (we're recent empty nesters with a 4BR house), but it's all scattered about. 240V E-BIAB rig in the garage (wired for it), fermenter fridge and lagering freezer in the basement, keezer in the gameroom, assorted bits and pieces in one of the spare bedrooms.

If we ever build/buy another house, I need a brew room. Bad.;)

I fully intend to build a home with brewing and serving integral to the flow and design of the house.

I fully intend to build a home with brewing and serving integral to the flow and design of the house.

+1. My wife wouldn't have it any other way. She'll get her whirlpool tub (plus 11 other things she wants) I get my brew room and BBQ/outdoor space with tv. Golf, beers and BBQ in the sun. Can't wait to build that house...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm currently lined up to close on my bre... house April 14th. One of the things on the top of my list was an unfinished basement, so I could put in my brewery/bar. If I can move the furnace (which is 20+ years old and getting replaced to a more efficient unit anyways) approximately 5 feet, I'll have a space that is around 28x15, with the staircase in the center. It already has a half bath, so i may make it a 3 piece with a urinal.

I also wanted a house so I can move up to a 3 vessel system, as well as have space to add in a bigger garage (so I can park the BRZ and the Jeep inside in the winter) and so I can get a dog and not need to pay 100+ more a month in rent.

I'm doing the same thing as the OP right now. My wife seems to be on board as she will make comments on areas that would be good for fermentation or where I can put my kegerators.

I'm currently lined up to close on my bre... house April 14th. One of the things on the top of my list was an unfinished basement, so I could put in my brewery/bar. If I can move the furnace (which is 20+ years old and getting replaced to a more efficient unit anyways) approximately 5 feet, I'll have a space that is around 28x15, with the staircase in the center. It already has a half bath, so i may make it a 3 piece with a urinal.

I also wanted a house so I can move up to a 3 vessel system, as well as have space to add in a bigger garage (so I can park the BRZ and the Jeep inside in the winter) and so I can get a dog and not need to pay 100+ more a month in rent.

love the brz/jeep combo. as a homeowner i have found a pickup a must for me. i have a 13 ram 1500 hemi and an old project z32 with a vh45 swapped in as well as full susp etc. having two sports cars and a truck would just be ridiculous, but i would love to have a brz!
gl getting setup. some peoples basements don't get adequate airflow, but i'm blessed. make sure it's safe.

love the brz/jeep combo. as a homeowner i have found a pickup a must for me. i have a 13 ram 1500 hemi and an old project z32 with a vh45 swapped in as well as full susp etc. having two sports cars and a truck would just be ridiculous, but i would love to have a brz!
gl getting setup. some peoples basements don't get adequate airflow, but i'm blessed. make sure it's safe.

Thanks man. Unfortunately, with the weather in Pittsburgh, I haven't had much time to enjoy the subie (got it in November, and store it at my parents place a few hours east), but I'm hoping to get it out this weekend to get to drive it a bit more. End-state goal is a truck (I'm hoping the new Colorado/Canyon are as nice as they look), but I picked up the XJ cheap last year to get through the winter/have something i dont have to worry about getting dirty.

And if everything works as planned, i'll already have a vent hole drilled and a gas line run to where the brewery will be built, i'll just need to get all of the pieces, haha. I've been brewing in my apartment basement for about a year now, so i definitely watch the carbon monoxide levels.

Latest posts

Back