Buying a Chest Freezer to make a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmash

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying this model from a friend (he offered it to me for $40):

http://www.abt.com/product/44271/Frigidaire-FFFC05M2KW.html#specs

Just a simple Frigidaire chest freezer. I think this would be big enough for 1 or 2 taps and a CO2 canister. Thoughts?

Also, I'm having difficulty finding the temperature specs on it (looked up the owner's manual and it didn't say)...would the "low" setting on this be fine for conditioning and/or having beer on tap? I don't want to get it if the "low" temp is still so cold that the beer would be impacted.

I'd appreciate any input.

First, I think, without looking up the specs on the official keezer thread, it should be able to hold 4 kegs and a CO2 tank.

Second, if it can freeze beer, you can rig it to keep beer at a reasonable temperature by installing an STC-1000 controller, and actually mount the thing in the wall (or collar) of the freezer so it's integrated.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

Being a freezer low would probably still be to low. You can get an external thermostat like an STC-1000 or Johnson Temperature controller so it can be at the exact temp your looking for.

I have that size freezer that is my fermentation chamber and when I'm not fermenting anything I can put 3 kegs plus a co2 tank to carb and condition.

Looks like you could get 2 kegs in there plus the co2 on the hump. Im assuming you'll be putting a collar on this keezer? Check the following thread on setups for your freezer if it is in there. As for the thermostate, the chest freezers I have will still freezer beer even on their low settings so probably would be good to invest in a temp controller. Hope this helps.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/

You should be able to easily fit at least two five-gallon kegs in there. If you go the collar route you can probably another. For $40's it's a good deal for you. You will need to purchase a temperature controller to keep your serving temps in line. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the feedback and I was indeed planning on doing a collar that I saw on the forums here. I liked that idea.

Are the STC-1000 temp controllers difficult to install?

Thanks for all the feedback and I was indeed planning on doing a collar that I saw on the forums here. I liked that idea.

Are the STC-1000 temp controllers difficult to install?

There is some DIY to get an STC wired together. There are plenty of threads on here on how to wire it properly. I believe you can also purchase ones that are pre-built. If you're looking for easy a Johnson control is plug and play.

I have the Johnson digital controller that was plug and play. Literally plug it in, set the temperature, and walk away. The DIY ones are cheaper but require work on your end.

There is some DIY to get an STC wired together. There are plenty of threads on here on how to wire it properly. I believe you can also purchase ones that are pre-built. If you're looking for easy a Johnson control is plug and play.

Yea, the Johnson is like triple the price of the STC-1000.

I'm decent with electronics, so I think I'll go with the STC...it can't be that complicated to wire.

Yea, the Johnson is like triple the price of the STC-1000.

I'm decent with electronics, so I think I'll go with the STC...it can't be that complicated to wire.

You are correct. It is a bit more expensive, I guess you're paying for the plug and play.

I have the STC-1000 and it has worked perfectly for a few years now.

Yea, I'm not looking for a ton of taps.

I wanted something that I could use for dual purpose: fermentation control and then once fermentation is done, have a 2-tap set up. I don't think I want more than 2 taps because I also enjoy bottling. I also only brew (at most) 5 gal batches, so I would only need 1 or 2 corny kegs.

I'm thinking of buying this model from a friend (he offered it to me for $40):

http://www.abt.com/product/44271/Frigidaire-FFFC05M2KW.html#specs

Just a simple Frigidaire chest freezer. I think this would be big enough for 1 or 2 taps and a CO2 canister. Thoughts?

Also, I'm having difficulty finding the temperature specs on it (looked up the owner's manual and it didn't say)...would the "low" setting on this be fine for conditioning and/or having beer on tap? I don't want to get it if the "low" temp is still so cold that the beer would be impacted.

I'd appreciate any input.

JackSmash - did you ever end up getting this? I am looking at the same one and am curious how it worked out?

Yes, it's used. I am curious how it worked out.
This thread you are replying to is almost 8 years old and the OP hasn’t been active on this forum for almost 6 years. It’s important to note the dates on threads when you use the search function and reply to threads found there. You can also click on a member’s username to see when they were last seen participating on the forum.

great...

I just wasted a few minutes reading down this thread until Camonick pointed out the obvious 🤦‍♂️

In fairness, the recent poster is apparently looking at an available freezer of the same model as the OP's and just wanted to know if maybe it isn't worth pursuing. A totally reasonable follow-up even given the time lapse...

Cheers!

A totally reasonable follow-up even given the time lapse...
But the odds of an answer from a member who hasn’t been active since August of 2016 are slim to none, which is why I pointed that out.
If the freezer is operating and in good mechanical condition, and following the advice of previous posters to use an external temperature controller and adding a tall collar, I’d say go for it if @simrag01 thinks it’s reasonably priced.

Back