Butterfly vs. Ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobP

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the advantage of a 1.5" butterfly valve with a 3/4" hole over a ball valve with the same size hole? ( other than the coolness factor)

TC connected valves (either butterfly or ball) are easier/faster to remove and/or clean. I use both types in my brewing setup. The ball valve is at the wort outlet side of the plate chiller to control the flow rate to maximize the chill rate. Butterfly everywhere else. The ball valve I have is easy/fast to take apart since it's a single TC clamp that holds it together. I do NOT miss the two, or three, piece 1/2" ball valves I used to use. No NPT connections to need to screw with is more of a deal than you realize until you change over to TC connections. No more screwing around trying to get handles to index correctly is a great thing. Not needing to apply more Teflon tape when you take the valves off and want to put them back on (and associated mess) or worry about having the tape wrapped the correct direction. All more impacting than you realize until you change over to TC.

To be clear, TC fittings are not cheap. But, IMO/IME, well worth moving to.

I would install a NPT to TC adapter on ANY kettle that's not TC native. I actually had someone weld in TC ferrules into my old keggle before I went to a set of Spike+ kettles. Zero threads, bulkheads, etc. to deal with.

Latest posts

Back