Burton Union

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to build a Burton Union system. I have seem several plans and it seems straight forward enough. The trouble I am having is finding a way to have three ports in my carboy cap. I use one for a thermowell to measure the temperature. All the plans I have seen require two for the burton process. One for the Blowoff and one for the return.

Any ideas on how I could make a three port carboy cap. I am using 3 gallon pet plastic fermentors. If I could increase my yield and maybe harvest some of the yeast for reuse, It would be a good thing.

Suggestions appreciated.

Maybe you could have the return on the same port as the blow off with a tee, or just have a single line to the bottom of the burton vessel. It will flow back once the krausen dies down

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Below is a pic to further the conversation. As to a 3 hole cap, I'd suggest custom drilling a blank stopper: hole #1 raking cane; hole #2 thermo well; hole #3 return from collection vessel.

http://byo.com/stories/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects

burton_figure10.jpg

That was the 2nd hit on Google. Looks cool.

Just an idea...I started this due to the very aggressive ferments I was getting from my Belgians constantly over flowing my fermentors.I haven't actually used it to collect yeast but that's next. Advantage here are the PVC pipes come apart very easily to clean.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

1395458008770.jpg

I have a couple of the orange carboy caps, and I can tell you that you that there is more than enough room to drill/melt a new hole for your thermowell. (I suggest melting one using a nail)

Below is a pic to further the conversation. As to a 3 hole cap, I'd suggest custom drilling a blank stopper: hole #1 raking cane; hole #2 thermo well; hole #3 return from collection vessel.

http://byo.com/stories/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects

burton_figure10.jpg

That was the 2nd hit on Google. Looks cool.

That's the article that gave me the idea. I was looking at drilling a stopper, can you get a good enough hole that won't leak air in after the heavy fermentation is done?

Back