Burnt wart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentman

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch ever today and the book I was told to follow from the brew shop said to taste the wart right before I add yeast. The wart taste burnt but there was no signs of burning the wart in my boil pot any idea on what happened or if the taste will change

I brewed my first batch ever today and the book I was told to follow from the brew shop said to taste the wart right before I add yeast. The wart taste burnt but there was no signs of burning the wart in my boil pot any idea on what happened or if the taste will change

Are using grains at all, either all-grain brewing or steeping grains? If so, the burnt wort flavor you're picking up might be astringency picked up from the grain.

If you didn't have to scrub a layer of crud off the bottom of your pot you didn't burn your wort.

If you haven't tasted the wort before I don't think you can truly tell what it should taste like. Though burnt is not a taste I would expect. Sweet and malty is what you should get. Maybe it is the malt flavor that you are tasting.

I don't know why the brew shop would have you taste it. Without previous experience that is not going to tell you much. And the finished product is going to be way different.

Was it an extract batch? If you add your extract while the burner is on you can scorch the extract when it settles to the bottom of the pot. If you didn't mix it in all the way it can burn as well.

The taste may fade over time, or you may end up with a beer that just tastes roastier than you intended. Either way, it will be beer!

Congrats on your first brew!

Are using grains at all, either all-grain brewing or steeping grains? If so, the burnt wort flavor you're picking up might be astringency picked up from the grain.

IMG_1521662323.281749.jpg
. This is the recipe I used so I believe steeping grains I don’t know much I read the instructions on the kit and the first chapter of the book they sold me which is on covering how to do your first brew then read the book in the time it takes for the first batch to finish

If you didn't have to scrub a layer of crud off the bottom of your pot you didn't burn your wort.

If you haven't tasted the wort before I don't think you can truly tell what it should taste like. Though burnt is not a taste I would expect. Sweet and malty is what you should get. Maybe it is the malt flavor that you are tasting.

I don't know why the brew shop would have you taste it. Without previous experience that is not going to tell you much. And the finished product is going to be way different.

Ok thanks

View attachment 563022. This is the recipe I used so I believe steeping grains I don’t know much I read the instructions on the kit and the first chapter of the book they sold me which is on covering how to do your first brew then read the book in the time it takes for the first batch to finish

You have a few grain types in there that can give off a burnt character. It might just be that they seem harsh now and they'll smooth out later. In a worst case scenario, you might have pulled astringency from the grain, sorta like if you over-brew coffee or tea.

You have a few grain types in there that can give off a burnt character. It might just be that they seem harsh now and they'll smooth out later. In a worst case scenario, you might have pulled astringency from the grain, sorta like if you over-brew coffee or tea.

Oh ok thank you for the information

Hello dentman and welcome to the Addiction of homebrewing. The term ur looking for is wort (pronounced wert). And it is always a great idea to taste the sample and take notes about it. I also recommend tasting the raw ingredients also. This is how you learn what diff ingredients taste like and what they do to ur finished product. It's like a chef prearing his specialty dish. As far as the "burnt" flavor it will mellow out over time unless it was a truly overwhelming flavor. And there is several factors that this could've been. First always remove the pot from the heat before adding the malt extract. This not only helps prevent boilover, but it helps prevent the denser extract from being scorched on the bottom of pot before being stirred. Another thing could be when steeping the specialty grains tie ur steeping bag to the handle so it doesn't sink all the way to bottom of pot and lay there and scorch. Also some people claim that over squeezing the grain bag can release astringent flavors. And lastly the specialty grains in that recipe are very dark and bitter tasting like coffee, raw cocoa, or like bakers chocolate that have a somewhat strong bitter back taste that u may have perceived as a slight "burnt" flavor. Remember to get that dark color grain the malster toasts the grain to develop that strong complex toasted flavor, the darker the grain the more it was toasted. This just maybe a flavor you are not used to. But this is why I suggest tasting the ingredients and the wort at all diff stages. You will learn the ins and outs of the ingredients and the processes. 1 other thing you can do is look up "off flavors" in beer and it will list what causes different off flavors n how to prevent them. Remember it's your first brew , it's your beer, it will taste good and you improve from there. Good luck and welcome !

Back