Burnt sugar smell from Belgian blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraggybeard

Reaction score
I brewed up a Belgian blonde yesterday, transferred to the primary and it smells heavily of burnt or caramelized sugar. My recipe included
10lb Belgian pils
1lb table sugar
0.8lb Belgian Munich
0.7lb Belgian aromatic
I added the sugar at what I thought would be 15minutes but ended up boiling another 45 minutes after adding the sugar as the boil wasn't strong and I hadn't boiled down to 5gal.
Question is did I actually scorch the table sugar or is the smell common when adding table sugar? I didn't notice any scorched residue in the kettle. Will it likely ferment away and end up OK or will a burnt sugar smell/flavor remain in the final beer?

Thanks in advance.

The big thing is nothing to do but let it ride at this point. I think 1 lb of sugar would be hard to scorch in a full boil. Though I've got to ask does it seem more burnt or caramelized/cooked? Burnt I'm thinking charred and acrid, caramelized i'm thinking having a richness and different kind of sweetness. And what's the belgian munich? Caramunich is the only thing that comes up in my unmaintained Beersmith. Which would be far different than a german munich malt. I've got a couple go to grain bills for aIPAs and APAs that are about 6% melanoidin, 6% munich, and at flameout they have a cooked/caramelized sugar kind of sweetness even though they're a lot more bitter than a belgian blonde should be.

If it truly smells burnt/charred you're probably out of luck. Best to RDWHAHB and wish for the best. If it's more cooked/caramelized, and you're using an estery yeast and fermenting a bit warm, well then you're probably out of luck. Best to send to me for proper disposal.

Maybe the sugar sank to the bottom and scorched, then dissolved.
What @fnord says, let it ride, what you got to lose?

Take a good taste when it's done and decide whether it's worth packaging.

I always dissolve and add sugar products to the fermentor when the beer is about 2/3 done to prevent the yeast from binging early on.

Latest posts

Back