Burner won't stay lit!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan5159

Reaction score
I have bayou classic burner and I had a boil over. Okay it happens. I could not get it to relight and finished my brew on an old burner I have thinking it was just wet. I tried to light it again a couple days later and nothing. So yesterday I was messing around in my garage and got it to light but would only stay lit on very low flame. When I increase gas flow it would go out. Any ideas? What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe some wort residue or hop debris clogged the orifices? I'd soak it in a bucket of water with some cleaner.

Let it dry then crank it up.

Good luck,

"Mmmmm. Ain't got no gas in it."
-Sling Blade

I couldn't resist. :p

-Clogged ports on the burner.
-Crud inside the burner.
-Stuck or broken regulator, if it has one.
-Dead batteries or bad safety, if it has one. My burner makes me press a button very 15 minutes to keep it lit. Or, just tape the button down- not that I'm advising to defeat the safety by leaving out the batteries and taping the button down.
-Kinked or damaged hose.
-Air mixer needs adjustment.

I can hear the gas flowing but it won't stay lit

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are over a dozen different "Bayou Classic" burners, but I reckon any one of them can be fouled with wort. If you plug up enough holes in the burner, the remaining holes will run too rich, which will make it harder to light or keep lit.

You're going to need to clean out all the hardened/carbonized sugar to get things right again...

Cheers!

Happened to me before it just needs cleaned. i used a small paperclip to push through each hole after i soaked the burner frame and all in a bin with a little Dawn. let dry a few hours then fire it up. also any plumbing/hardware stores will carry orifice brushes that will get em cleaned out, then use an air compressor to blow em out.

Back