Burner suggestions, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering stepping up my system in the next year, so I'm starting to get into the planning phase. Right now, I'm planning to do 10 gallon batches with a HLT, converted cooler MLT, and a BK. My plan is to use two burners; one under the HLT and one under the BK.

I'd like to build an electric brewery in about five years, once my kids are out of daycare and into 4yo kindergarten, so I'm not looking for anything too pricey or anything that will last a lifetime. But I also don't want my brew day to be so long that it becomes a chore. So I'm trying to walk the fine line between cost vs. quality (BTUs, construction, etc.)

I've seen some jet burners that can put out a lot of BTUs for not a ton of money, but I hesitate to use them on the BK for fear that the concentrated flame might scorch the wort.

My thought is to use a jet style burner on the HLT (since that one has to get the water from 50* to 175*), and then something more gentle for the BK (to get it from 150* to 212*). But I'm concerned about the time it's going to take to bring my sweet wort to boil.

Any ten gallon batch makers out there using this or other inexpensive burners to bring to a quick boil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blichmann Floor Standing Burner - Amazing product, can convert to gas. Downside a bit pricey. Edelmetall™ Brü Burner Slightly Cheaper looks the same. Most of the cheap end ones are going to have a hard time. I have seen the wok burners used as well but I did not want to mess with them. The time vs money was to much when I looked at building a stand and hoses. On gas I brought 6 gallons of cold water to a rolling boil in 16 min. I didnt have the valve cranked full either.
Electric brewing is an awesome choice if you have 2 20amp breaker slots open in your breakerbox. I however did not. Did a hybrid setup with an electric hlt+mt and the blichmann on my bk. It works great I use 3 sabco keggles with a few adapters. Much cheaper than a brutus. More info than you needed hope it helps.

-Imp

Back